Blackhorn 209 ignition

VTbluegrass

So today I decided I would try to the MZ dialed in for next year with Blackhorn instead of my normal two pellets of 777 or Blue MZ.
Rifle is a Knight Disc Extreme normally shooting Barnes TMZ 250gr but I started with my stash of XTPs so I wasn't doing rough site in with expensive bullets. Begged some standard 209s instead of my MZ specific ones per the Blackhorn website.
1st shot at 25 way off target since this scope was on my 7RM until last month but I made my adjustments and moved back to 50yd
2nd shot very close so a little more adjustment and move to 100yd
3rd shot primer fired but did not ignite powder…. Wait and load another primer it fires but no ignition…

Remove breach plug, powder pours out everywhere, not a kernel was burned and the flash hole seems fine because I went back to my pellets and MZ marketed primers and it went bang 5 more times.

Thoughts?! Blackhorn 209 minus 300grs for sale in Eastern NC? Not sure what the deal was.

I think your issue is running a standard 209. You need to run a magnum primer such as a cci 209 magnum or a federal 209a

I have shot few hundred shots with BH209 and never had a misfire. As stated, hotter primer is mandatory, more pressure on seating sabot/conical is also mandatory, I clean my breech plug every 3 shots with finger twisting hex head drill bit sized for your breech plug. BH209 is much tougher to ignite and max primer flame is critical for solid ignition. I like the performance of it but it takes more effort to get best performance out of it. If you use it like T7, Pyrodex or pellets, you will likely run into ignition problems.

We had to use musket caps for a long time before 209's. We had no problem with BH even with musket caps. Dump in a small scoop of 3F first, BH next, bullet 3rd and always went bang and worked perfectly. Buddy has a Traditions and first time using BH with 209's hunting it cost him a bull. Primer went off and no bang, put a second primer in and bull was leaving pretty fast. Missed the second shot due to animal moving and distance. Back at camp same thing happened and he was not duplex loading anymore. We drilled out his flash hole and it works perfectly to this day. I never had a problem with 209's and BH in my Knight Bighorn, or Mountaineer.

Edit....I clean my breach plug about every 30-40 shots of 3F and only shoot a few shots of BH for every 30-40 shots of 3F. I only clean it when I am done shooting for the day. I just soak it over night in a jar of Balistol, air compressor it out, screw it in and go back to shooting. I just shoot what ever 209 primer I grab off the shelf and hunt with the Federals. Winchester, Federal, Fiochi, CCI, what ever is in the black powder box when I am at the range.

I just found it odd that starting from a squeaky clean rifle including breech plug two shots in I got not just one but two primer shots to not ignite. If it NEEDS magnum primers I might be sticking with my pellets because I haven't seen a magnum 209 primer ever at a store around here.

I just found it odd that starting from a squeaky clean rifle including breech plug two shots in I got not just one but two primer shots to not ignite. If it NEEDS magnum primers I might be sticking with my pellets because I haven't seen a magnum 209 primer ever at a store around here.
I will send you some to try if you want. Edit....try a duplex load with a 3F kicker and that will tell you what your issue probably is. If it kicks off fine then your not getting enough flame to the BH. Maybe a Mag primer...probably a new breach plug/nipple or drill it out.

I saw some fed 209a's for sale on Natchez I believe. Otherwise gunbroker may be the only option for you to get a better primer

I have shot a lot of Blackhorn 209 and always used Fed 209A or CCI 209M. Never had an issue. I do drill out the flame channel every 20-30 shots. I have got great accuracy and I weigh out every charge. The below is from their website on which primers are the best:

"We have experienced the best performance, consistency and accuracy with CCI 209M and Federal 209A. NOTE: DO NOT use 209 muzzleloading primers such as Winchester Triple 7, Remington Kleenbore, Federal Fusion, or CCI In-Line MZL."

What is interesting is how different each 209 primer is in fouling the flash hole in the breech plug. Some really crud up much faster than others. Bottom line is clean out flash hole in breech far more frequent than you ever thought you had to before.

I had the same experience as OP. I shot White Hots until I could find some Blackhorn.
Got only primer ignitions at 100 yards and went home to figure it out. Found out I needed to clean the breach plug with a drill bit. I could see thru the small flash hole, but didn't realize the larger channel has to be clean too. Ordered a spare breach plug so I will hopefully have one that will fire. Have not been back to the range to test.

Well sounds like magnum is what I need, I was hoping the standards were hot enough over the MZ specific ones. I'll try to find 100 somewhere over the next year. 1000 would carry me through 20 or more seasons.

bp_diagram.jpg