Black Phase Coyote Down

Nimrodmar10

Checking a cattle farm this afternoon when I spotted this black female sunning on the far side of a hollow. She watched me drive along the top of the opposite ridge and she must have figured I was no danger at 350 yards. She even lay there as I stopped to glass the sunny hill. The black hide stuck out pretty good on the brown grass, even at the edge of the woods. I ranged her at 349 yards with the Leica 1600. She was out of range of the Savage BMag 17 WSM I'd just sighted in. Too bad, I haven't gotten to shoot a coyote with it yet. The other gun I had with me was my knock around gun, a Remington 700 SPS in a 243 Win. with the factory Tasco 3-9x40. I had the rifle sighted in at 200 yards with hand loads with Nosler 70 gr. Varmint Ballistic Tip traveling at 3650 fps. I checked my Shooter app on my Droid. It showed a little over 9" of drop, so I decided to try and dial the scope instead of using the Mil Dots. I raised the elevation 2.6 MOA and put a sandbag rest across the hood and steadied in. I checked the wind and held 1 MOA left windage and sent the bullet. I heard the thump and got back on target just in time to see her tail start twirling. When I got to her I couldn't find an entrance hole but the exit wound came out just below the left ear. I may have his hide tanned since they're pretty rare.

How many of you guys have killed black coyotes?

Attachments

• tmp_IMG_21024260483608-274623586.jpeg
    tmp_IMG_21024260483608-274623586.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 122
  • tmp_IMG_21008289576610869671494.jpeg
    tmp_IMG_21008289576610869671494.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 88
Nice yote and great shooting on the fly. I have one very much colored like that near my farm that I've been after for 3yrs. She's (just guessing a female) a sneak bugger always gets out of Dodge before I can put cross hairs on her. I know I'm going to get my dark yote either tanned or mounted if I ever connect. As for dark phase I know I've only seen 1 while a field.

Gene R.

Wow nice work. I had not heard of color phase coyotes let alone ever seen one. That will look great tanned.

Very cool. Sure hope you tan it. I tried looking up how rare "very" was the only answer.

I did bump into a post looking to place one "rescue", had a spot all picked out on the wall, until I saw it was a 5 year old post.:D

I would definitely get that one tanned. I saw one around my house and was dumb enough to tell a friend about it. Needless to say he got it before I did. The bad thing was he shot it with his 7mm and the hide wasn't worth the effort to even skin it after that.

Ok guys I know that this is drumming up an old thread but I wanted to tell this story.

An old friend of mine has a taxidermy shop that was also the local gathering spot after a night of hunting. Many MANY adult beverages were drank during these times, hence why I am telling this story.

One night while a couple of us were harassing my buddy we saw that he had a pure black coyote mounted in the lying position with its ears perked up and its mouth open. This thing looked like a black German shepherd and we made sure that he knew this. After a couple times of him telling us to shut up we dropped the subject, especially when we heard a truck pull up and my buddy went outside to look at the deer that was about to come into the shop. Well while he was outside another friend saw that there was a dog collar hanging on the side of the bench. Soooo what could we do with that? We put it on the coyote. This made the thing come to life, it looked like a **** dog laying there. Well the guy that was dropping off his deer also brought his wife with him. When they came in the shop the wife immediately saw the mounted "dog" laying there and started to cry. "that is the sweetest thing I have seen, I cant believe someone loved their dog that much that they would have it mounted."

Now here is 4 inebriated guys standing around trying extremely hard not to bust out laughing. The husband has an embarrassed look on his face and my buddy had to explain that it was a black coyote and that someone must have put the collar on as joke. He walked them out of the shop when they left and waved bye, immediately he turns around and says "you dicks, I didn't know what to tell that poor lady." Sure wish I would have taken a picture of that dog.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.