Black bear round

Matt_3479,
Both your 7mag, and your 300wsm will drop anything in North America, and probably alot broader range than that. I am a big fan of the 30cal tho. Congrats on your new purchase.

308 Win Black bear round

My 15 yr old son uses a Old Browning BLR in 308 Win with my handloads of Reloader 15 @ 42.0 with Norma Brass with RWS 5341 primers and Norma 180gr SP bullets for his black bear stand gun.

gun)

When I finally got it together near the end of this spring black bear season I was using this rifle.

Robinson Arms XCR-L in 6.8SPC (270 cal) loaded with the first 3 boxes of the brand new Barnes 95gr TTSX into Canada @ 2825fps.

I feel that shot placement is crucial when using such a light cartridge which is why I never shot a bear with it the perfect opportunity never presented itself.

img_9298.jpg

Yes X-Man it is me... CC :)

Winmag.

i have no doubt in my mind that my 7mm will drop anything in north america. My average grouping is .75" at 100 yards. The only reason i bought the 300. wsm is because i can see a lot of potential in that cartridge plus it gives me an excuse to by a new gun :).

Winmag.

i have no doubt in my mind that my 7mm will drop anything in north america. My average grouping is .75" at 100 yards. The only reason i bought the 300. wsm is because i can see a lot of potential in that cartridge plus it gives me an excuse to by a new gun :).

I like the way you think:D! + Im a 30 cal fan.

Your 308 will be a great round for black bear. I have used a variety of cartridges including 7mm RM, 356 Win, 280 and 300 WSM. I would not have hesitated to use a 308 had I carried one when stalking bear. I would likely use a 165 grain bullet.

A.308 .3006 .35 .3030 will kill a black bear just as quick as if you were using a .300MAG.
Just as long as you hit the vitals,,lung/heart..break his back and he will drop like a rock.

What do you think of a 14" barrel (pistol) chambered in 7mm 08?

I want to hunt with this little gem, and I want to hunt black bear. They don't get too big aroud here, and I don't mind tracking a bit. It's a great size for the hills and is scoped for a good shot. I don't plan on shooting far. I'm generayy a bow hunter and feel comfortable getting closer than some might, for a good shot.

Your pistol will do a fine job on black bear. A 140 Nosler Accubond pushed by a stiff dose of H 335 for around 2600 fps or a 154 Hornady Spire Point Interlock with a stiff does of IMR 4064 for around 2400 fps would be about perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.