Bipods on hard surfaces?

I have shot out to a little over 1000 yards with bi-pod front, sock filled with sand rear. I load develop in the same way and practice this way as well. At the range, I don't shoot off the concrete bench because where I hunt , there are none. I have shot off of tightly packed road dirt, off of rocks, and shale. I have shot off of a grass field and a wooden bench. I can say that any time I ever had shooting issues, not once could I blame the bi-pod. Is there any chance that the difference in grouping ability has more to do with shooting position? The people having trouble, are the barrels free-floated?
Use a Harris on all my guns, never had an issue.

Re: Bipods on hard surfaces? Padding & Loading

!. Always load your bipod by pushing forward against it as close to the same pressure for every shot as you can manage.

2. Taping closed cell foam pads (like neoprene) on your bipod "feet" will mitigate bounce on hard surfaces. Bipods are meant for use on dirt, grass and other softer natural materials, not shooting benches. Some bipods have rubber foot caps available. You can also use rubber hiking stick end caps. Leki sells them as do other makers like Black Diamond.

Don't give up on bipods. Also use your sling to stabilize your shooting arm.

Finally always try to get your Natural Point of Aim (NPA) before shooting. Line up your shot, close your eyes and relax your body. Open your eyes and if your crosshairs are off the target make small body movements (not muscle changes), relaxing after each movement until you get on target again, this time with your NPA.

Then practice, practice, practice.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts