Bipods, (Harris or Versa-pod?)

James D.

As the title implies, I am looking at purchasing one or the other but I can't decide on which one. Perhaps people with experience can comment on these products. (went through the "search" and found a web-page on tweaking/fixing the versa-pod)

I have a benchrest type of pedestal currently. I'm just looking for something more portable and attached to the rifle somehow for future hunts or field shooting.

Harris here.

I´m not saying it is better but it is very easy and quiet to use. I only have one, it takes 30 seconds to change from one rifle to another when needed.

Used it quite a lot for a few years without problems,range and hunting.

I use both, but prefer the Harris, as the model I use doesn't cant like the Versa-Pod.
cool.gif

I've used the long Harris with a swivel off and on for several years on a 17 Remington for coyote hunting. For the first couple of months, it's extremely awkward to use, but once you get used to it, they are great!

I'd pull the legs all of the way out, set the rifle but on the edge of my right jacket pocket and when the coyotes come in, I don't have to raise the rifle, just lower my head.

With practice, it even helps on the 200 yard running coyotes.

The versa pod is a china made cheap copy of the very excellent parker hale bipod.

The parker hale was made for tactical purposes, not specialy for hunting. It is incredably well made and durable, and rock steady. The Harris is the best of the 2 choices you mentioned.

"REAL" Parker Hales go for big money. I am the proud owner of one .

cool.gif

Russ

Harris all the way!!!

I had a couple Parker Hale bipods when I first got into the game but they were so wobbly that it was hard to shoot small groups, I even had the locking PH bipod that was a joke to use because if you needed to cant the rifle the locking screw would just come loose and then it was back to wobbling city. The swivel harris bipods are all I use for my rigs now very stable platform to use.

I purchased an "all steel" versapod after going to a gun show and inspecting both bipods. The Harris looked "cheesy"... The advantage of the Harris is that it sits closer to the bore, and of course isn't loose like the Versa, and is probly easier to use... and is cheaper

Now to remount the spigot so it sits closer to the bore and to tighten the bipod up. About the only thing about the Versa-pod that bugs me now is the thick black paint that they used to paint it with. They painted everything before assembly and now at times the bipod is free then it sticks...

I like harris! again, very simple bi pod to use and looks good also. need to send it to Dura Coat in Columbus, GA there is a guy there by the name of Otto and he does a real good job and has many patterns and coatings to help it not be sticky.

You know, Harris Engineering is a helluva company. I do some freelance writing for some of the mags out there, and believe it or not, i've actually received 4 bipods over the years from the company as a thank you for mentioning their fabulous product.

Go with Harris. I tried Versa-pod and I can tell you it is of much worse quality than Harris. I dumped the Versa-pod in a hurry. Also, you can get excellent pricing on Harris at this dealer, Ron Shirk Shooting Supplies (717)272-5671, they advertise in shotgun news the following Harris models:

1A2BR $48.95, 1A2L $48.95, 1A2LS (swivel) $68.95, 1A2BRS $68.95. All prices are cash, credit cards 2% surcharge (although illegal according to policy of credit companies but they still do it). plus shipping.
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.