DOUBTS ON HARRIS BIPODS

älg

Can someone tell me the exact diference between the notch leg bipod and the others? (apart from the name)...any experience with them. I´ll probably go with the s type.

For prone shooting I am planning to buy the 9-13 "....what about steep uphill shots?

thanks for the input.

get the notches AND the swivel

notched legs mean you dont have to fiddle with the settings as much -- SOOOO much better than unnotched!

also the notched have a spring to deploy OUT instead of a spring to suck the leg in-- MUCH easier again to setup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

YMMV,
JB

I have been testing a bipod for Mike rock and it's amazing. I liked my Harris bipod, but the bouncing, feet trenching and adjustment method left a lot to be desired. The SOPMOD bipod from Rock also pans and cants. The feet stay put and you can engage multiple targets from one spot. There is no need to pre load the bipod as is needed with the Harris type. I can easily see bullet impact from my 308. Another difference with this bipod is installing on a rifle. It has a quick attachment mechanism that mounts onto a picatinny rail. I build a rail that will attach to a stock using two sling swivel holes (like HS precision uses) with a built in mount for your sling swivel. It takes about 5 seconds to attach/detach the bipod, so it can easily be used on multiple rifles. If someone wants to try out a bipod I will give you a rail very very chep.

http://www.rockcreekbarrels.com/new_page_2.htm

PS: I don't work for Mike and gain nothing from this; I just like to promote good products that work!!

Glen

I took a look at that bipod. the leg mechansim and the adjustment are just a variation on the tried and trusted Bren Gun bipod(as is the versapod) thats been around for well over a half century. I wouldn't mind trying the alloy version.
Ive used several bipod over the years. Ive used the Bren bipod on the LMG, it worked, ive used the one fitted to the GPMG ( M240?) ive used 3 stick self made sniper course type bipods, buffalo sticks, that horrible B square piece of junk, the enfield SA 80 LSW bipod (had that on a 243 stalking rifle also) several versions of the Harris.
The harris works, the Machine gun bipost where to wobbly and rackety and noisy for hunting rifle use. What i don't like about the harris i'm using HB25C-S is the fact that it is very difficult to operate the leg lock and pull the leg out with 1 hand. a notched, spring assisted deployment would make far more sense. Also the sod is just slightly too long when used prone in its shortest possition, what i would like is the HB 25 S but with notched legs.
whats this Rock bipod like for noise and wobble?
Alg if you need a new bipod, let me know.
Pete

"what's this Rock bipod like for noise and wobble?"

The first thing I noticed when I installed it and shot it was the lack of noise. The springs just don't rattle and the rest of it is solid.

As far as wobble goes there isn't any and it's adjustable so there can be if you want. You can adjust the knuckle to where it has enough friction to move, but not without your encouragement. You can also adjust it so it doesn't move at all if you want. To fold the bipod up it can't be locked down all the way. Mine is adjusted very tight just so I can still make it turn\pan side to side and fold up and away. Its sturdy enough that I can shoot prone with a 36x benchrest scope without a problem.

Glen

its not bad, I dont have a scale that goes that light, but it feels like its slightly hevier than a Harris knockoff, but lighter than the Harris with a pod lock...Im going camping for the weekend, So I can weigh it monday if you like.

Glen

I just need a bipod... does not need to be new. That rock looks nice, a little too expensive though.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.