Bipod Height For Hunting

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Ernie and Steve, your last picture is of Steve with the short BR bipod. Do you guys carry more than one size with you into the field?

For me, sometimes but rarely.
IMO, Steve is more of a minimalist than me. I have carried two bi-pods with me in the field. More typically I will carry the BR bi-pod and a pair of shooting sticks. Your day pack can also be a good rest too.
The BR bi-pod is for sure my primary, but I will also carry the next size up if I think the terrain demands it.
If, I think that my primary posture will be seated, then I pull out the 25C and the stadium seat.
I try to pick the bi-pod for the type of hunting I do.
This is not a big deal if day hunting, but if you ar ein the mountains then, lessening weight can be a consideration.

Exactly-- for me, i don't use 1 in the mtns. (minimalism) as i carry a big daypack. When hunting the prairie i usually use the tallest Harris, but honestly i'm always torn between a tall and short Harris. I've actually compromised somewhat by using the old style tall Harris oftentimes, that fits me OK for sitting shots, and works well for prone, i.e. shorter (It's lighter and less bulky than the newer Harris style also). Ernie carries a very small lightweight rear bag that i'm gonna get made up for Xmas this year i think. I would carry that, somewhere on me. I may actually try something different this year. I'm gonna try some of the packing foam that's very rigid (yet still compressible) compared to normal packing foam. I'm sure u've seen it--it's very solid. I'm gonna cut a rectangular piece of it, and see how that works as a rear field rest with a bipod. We'll see.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.