binoculars

airstream

I am heading to Idaho on my first elk hunt. I need advice on a pair of binoculars. I can not afford great optics at this time. I need a pair under 400$

if you have access to go and try some brands out I suggest to do that. I went to several stores and settled on a pair of Leupold 8x42 for general stand and sendero hunting. I wear glasses so i wanted to try several differnt styles and brands to find the one I settled on.

If you can find a used pair of ZEN RAY ED2s that is how I would go. New 10s are a little over 400. If you cant find used and need them soon the Nikon Monarchs are good too. I have both and have been very pleased with both.

I have Leupold Olympic 10x50's and they have worked well for low light glassing on whitetail and muleys. I think they are pretty darn good for the money. I found them NIB on ebay from an individual for $250, Cabelas has them for $450. If I remember right they weigh 26oz which isn't to bad for 50mm binos. They beat my older 10x50 Steiners and keep up with a friend's Zeiss Classic 10x40's in low light for my eyes at least.

I went with a pair of Nikon ATB 12X42 Monarch!

Bass pro was offering a rebate on these at one time! I think I paid $235 after the rebate! Very good set of binoculars for the money and served me well in Wyoming on my trip!

I am heading to Idaho on my first elk hunt. I need advice on a pair of binoculars. I can not afford great optics at this time. I need a pair under 400$

Here would be my suggestions. The contrast on these is 90% of my friends SLC's... He's always upset when he see's mine knowing how much I spent vs his. Contrast not power will help you spot an elk in the dark timber. Good luck on your hunt I will be up for 12 days starting Aug 26th for archery elk myself.

Camera Land specials listed under sponsors:

Minox HG 8.5x43 BR ASPH, Yards Model, Binocular #62155 which was originally $899.00 is now reduced 50% to only $449.99 while supply lasts.

Minox HG 8.5x52 BR ASPH, Yards Model, Binocular #62159 is now reduced more than 50% to only $499.99 , from $1049.00, while supply lasts.

Jon

Last edited:
AIRSTREAM,,
Over the years i,ve spent a lot of money on binoculars..I should have waited and saved my money until i was able to purchase my EL-10-42 swarovski,s ,,that i knew would not let me down..and are crystal clear.
If you would like to wait and save more money for a top of the line setup ,,i will let you use mine for this hunt...These things are like scopes and you can go back and forth all day long.. my experience is schmidt & bender scopes and swarovski binoculars..
I dont know you but because you are on this site i should be able to trust you.If you want to purchase something else do so ,or if you want to save for a better top of the line setup you can use mine for this hunt..

Extreme, wow what a generous offer. I , like yourself have learned that instead of buying 5 midgrade products, go ahead and save money by buying one thatill last and not leave you wishing and wanting. So I spent the money on a nightforce, spent the money on a cooper and I spent the money on quality gear, add this up with the outfitters drop camp fee for me and my wife and well you know the money that is invested , makes this a trip of a lifetime for someone such as myself. I live in Virginia, I am honest, hard working , hard hunting 32 year old. I really have no need for Binoculars hear in Va, so I never made the investment.

How much would the replacement fee be if the lent binos were lost stolen or damaged in any way. and yes I would pay for them in full if I would even scratch them. You may be as crazy as me. thanks again for the offer, I will be considering this for a day or two.

Airstream,
So we dont tie up the site with this subject e-mail me at ==( [email protected] )..
I will give you my tele. no. or you give me yours and we can finish this.
I,am well aware of the cost of a western hunt,and because i,am not needing my binoculars this fall ,,you can use them ..I,am well aware of what can happen on these kind of trips,, i,ve done at least (30 ) ,some guided most drop camp ,,but dont let that stand in your way.
I,ll be in and out of the house all day today and will check my computer as i come in.
pete,

Hi airstream,
i have not heard back ,,so to answer your question i paid around $1800.00 dollars when i bought mine....cabelas has them now at $2480.00 dollars. Do not let this stop you from using mine..
Your last message said you have no need for binoculars after this hunt,so save your money and contact me.think positive and get ready for your hunt and can assure you that you will be able to see what your shooting at..
Contact me pete

I hunt in Idaho almost every year. I will say that your optics in that country is almost as important as your rifle. I just picked up a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks 10x42 and used them on an Oregon antelope hunt and they were great! $200+-

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.