Better bullets, better twists?

benchracer

There has been some pretty good discussions lately about pushing for better long range bullets (particularly in .375). Inevitably, when better long range bullets are discussed, rifling twist quickly becomes an issue.

Though bullet manufacturers have done a pretty good job of offering better long range bullets over the last decade, it seems that rifle manufacturers have been slow to respond. I believe it is well past time for a push to revise SAAMI twist standards for the industry. High bc bullets aside, the increasing acceptance and use of monometal bullets alone argues for tighter standard twists.

Given some of the great bullets out there, I would think that the ammo and bullet manufacturers would be willing allies in a push to revise twist standards. I know that there are some industry connected folks who frequent this site who might have some good insights relative to this issue. What twist revisions should be made? What would be the best approach to push for such changes?

My thoughts on needed changes below. What say you?

22-250/.220 Swift: Go with two twist standards here, similar to what has been done with .223. 1/10 for the all-arounder and 1/8 for varmint/target. Regardless, it is long past time for the 14 twist to be dead and buried.

.243: 1/8 twist across the board.

.257: ????

.264: ditto .243

.277: ????

.284: Is there a need to revise the standard twist for 7mm? Not sure.

.308: Most 30-06 and larger cases seem to have a 1/10, which seems about right. The .308 could benefit from a 1/10 or 1/11. Either way, I think the 12 twist needs to go away.

.338: It seems like the standard 1/10 twist works well, though I have seen references to 1/9 and 1/9.5 for certain applications. Is there a need for change?

.375: It seems to me that a change to a 1/10 twist would benefit the .375's while having little, if any, downside in any .375 chambering.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.