Best Way to Trim

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by R.Ph. 380, Mar 21, 2011.

1. R.Ph. 380

R.Ph. 380 Member

I'm using the Hornady case trimmer with a power adapter so I can use my drill for power.What is the best way to measure the proper length so I am not trying and adjusting interminably?

2. milanuk

milanuk Well-Known Member

Calipers?

Maybe I'm missing the point of your question here.

Yes, there will be some back-n-forth measure-trim-measure-trim-some-more-measure-dammit-cut-too-much-grab-another-measure-trim-measure... :rolleyes:

Once you get is set, if the trimmer is worth what it costs as scrap metal, it should be set until you're done trimming - barring anything coming loose, etc.

3. R.Ph. 380

R.Ph. 380 Member

Ok, thought that was correct. Just not another way to measure once, cut once. Just get tired of that ooops, grab another one.:D

Bill

4. BigDaddy0381

BigDaddy0381 Well-Known Member

5. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

Wilson
    glt

6. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

Trim die and a file for me. I've also used a Lee case trim tool. I like those pretty well.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  7. BigSkyGP

BigSkyGP Well-Known Member

One thing I like about the Lee trimmers, They might be a couple .01 short, but they all come out the same, and there is no adjustment, to come loose.

Does Lee have custom trim pilots?

8. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

I found this in their catalog.

Case Length Gauges

Custom case length gauges can be made for cartridges that fit an existing shell holder. A list of calibers and their corresponding shell holders can be found in our catalog (page 15) or on the FAQ portion of our website under "Case Preparation" and then "Shell holders and calibers." While there is really no maximum caliber, the smallest we can make is .22.

We need:

Payment of $20.00 ($15.00 + $5.00 processing fee)
    Desired trim length
    Bullet diameter or a couple sized sample cases
    Shellholder number

9. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

I have a RCBS AND A Redding micro, which you set and go back to #'s. On my RCBS, once I set it correct by case trim length, I would save a case and use it as a gauge later to set up, throw them in a old bullet box, saves set up time.

10. MSLRHunter

MSLRHunter Well-Known Member

I used a Hornady case trimmer for a while and then moved up to the Wilson case trimmer with the Sinclair stand and it is the best case trimmer I have ever used. I will never use another trimmer.

11. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

Dillon Rapid Trim

12. RockinGlock

RockinGlock Member

I also use the Lee case trimmers now days, I like the same accurate no worry trimming and makes prep alot faster.

13. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

+1 on the Lee. it is much cheaper and simpler to use with the same exact length every time.

14. Wildhog

Wildhog Well-Known Member

I use the sinclair ultimate trimmer.Which is a wilson trimmer that sinclair installs a micrometer for length adjustment and secures it to a metal stand to elevate it and secure it to a table if you pefer. Its a little pricy but its night and day difference between the lyman universal that I had before. I really like it. Very well made also.