Best suited 7mm for short barrel?

The guy wanted options so I tossed one out there. I'm not gonna battle with a keyboard ninja.

Lads chill!
Both excellent options and I appreciate them all.
Very little in it between the 2.
Like the price and availability of the AI but simplicity and that you can run a full charge on first firing of the saw without full fireforming.
COAL is a bit of an issues with both I imagine unless I stay under 160gr bullets.

Appreciating all the imput.

Lads chill!
Both excellent options and I appreciate them all.
Very little in it between the 2.
Like the price and availability of the AI but simplicity and that you can run a full charge on first firing of the saw without full fireforming.
COAL is a bit of an issues with both I imagine unless I stay under 160gr bullets.

Appreciating all the imput.

I have been shooting an 18" 284 win. for a few years now in a specialty pistol and it is amazing! Much better in my opinion than the 7-08ai that it replaced. However, there is nothing wrong with the 7-08ai either! Just my perspective.

Sonny

I have been shooting an 18" 284 win. for a few years now in a specialty pistol and it is amazing! Much better in my opinion than the 7-08ai that it replaced. However, there is nothing wrong with the 7-08ai either! Just my perspective.

Sonny
Thanks.
What bullet, COALCOAL speeds are you getting if you don't mind me asking?

I have a 7mm RSAUM XP-100 with a 17.5" bbl. With Berger 168 VLD-H I have seen 2850 FPS and using the Hornady 162 ELD-X it will do 2774 FPS. I stopped there with the H162ELDX. There's more room to go up in terms of pressure - just chose to stop there since that particular load was 1/2 MOA.

The 7mm RSAUM is an excellent choice for short barrrels. I've had 284W, 280AI, and 7RM in short barrrels. My favorite is the 7mm RSAUM.

Kimber7man, I haves used H1000, H4831sc, IMR4451, IMR7977. My fastest velocities have came with H1000 with good (1/2 MOA) accuracy. I've gotten slightly better accuracy with H4831sc but not the velocity (I'm just over 2700 fps with H4831sc and the Berger 168 VLD-H bullet).

I used IMR4451 with the Nosler 150 ABLR bullet, but only hit 2850 FPS before pressure, but did have good accuracy initially (sub 1/4 MOA from a new Bartlein bbl) but afterwards couldn't repeat the initial accuracy.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.