Best state for hunting ?

Jrin21

Looking to move out west and wondering what stay has the most to offer from white tail to rams for hunting for residents. I know this is probably a loaded questions without lots of variables . Just wanted some ruff suggestions .

Montana would get my vote. A huge state with game all over the place and you can get all kinds of tags over the counter. My nephew lives near Bozeman and he puts six or seven animals in the freezer every year. The season is nice and long and when it is over you can shoot prairie dogs out as far as your gear will take you. Great for practicing your wind reading since it isn't calm too many days.

Montana sucks!
Montana sucks!
Montana sucks!
Montana sucks!
Montana sucks!

Did I mention ...

Montana sucks!
Montana sucks!
Montana sucks!
Montana sucks!
Montana sucks!

Colorado is great but expect to have to draw for almost every tag you want to get. I also here Wyoming is good for antelope and not bad for elk but never hunted there so cant say that for sure.

Quality of the herds in Nevada is very high. Tags are tough to draw, and everything is lottery. If you get an antelope, you wait 5 years until you can apply again. Elk are 10 years, bighorn are sometimes 15. Deer you can apply every year whether you kill or not.

I can say, if you draw a Nevada tag there is a good chance to have an opportunity at a quality animal. Some areas are harder than others, both to draw and to hunt, but there is a ton of public land statewide.

Montana is hard to beat.

Texas has a ton of opportunities, but it's mostly pay to play. You can kill a lot of game for not a lot of money, though, and we have the best quality of living.

How does MT look for public access to prime hunting areas?
It looks like a good chunk of land is owned by the government.

Not that I would move there, I heard it sucks :)

Use to be good before wolf I shot 5 species with bow before rifle season.Now I hunted 35 days and didnt see a legal bull.Saw 6 bucks whole season.Have seen 7 bulls in one day before.Looking at draws out of MT ,wolfs ruined it where i hunt:cool:Im a real hard hiking hunter with 40 yrs experience.

Use to be good before wolf I shot 5 species with bow before rifle season.Now I hunted 35 days and didnt see a legal bull.Saw 6 bucks whole season.Have seen 7 bulls in one day before.Looking at draws out of MT ,wolfs ruined it where i hunt:cool:Im a real hard hiking hunter with 40 yrs experience.

See, I told you ...

Montana sucks!

I would have to say that Montana is tough to beat. Way better than Idaho.... Even if it does indeed suck. It's nearly all wolves here... No game anymore.

I would have to say that Montana is tough to beat. Way better than Idaho.... Even if it does indeed suck. It's nearly all wolves here��... No game anymore.
I use to pop into ID no more than 8 yrs ago .Pan handle as near Mt for me,Same thing,bugled 8 bulls in one drainage,next season bugle-wolfs answer with howl.The elk where in the way,way back.I was already hunting a almost unhuntable area and also a no outfitting zone.Wolfs ruined that spot also.Here they are coming back some.Its just a shame to see.I use to shoot a 6x6 every year for years,worked at it but it was doable

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.