Best shooting sticks for elk hunting?

trophy8

I booked an elk hunt in southern Colorado, west of Trinidad GMU 85 close to Aguilar and Weston. I'm not new to hunt or long range hunting. I AM new to elk hunting and hunting in the mountains. I use an atlas bipod on my rifles and am used to laying across my pack or a sand dune or a truck haha. Not used to shooting off sticks up and across a canyon. What do y'all recommend for this terrain and service? Something that will keep me very steady on an uphill or downhill shot where I'm kneeling or sitting or possible standing. Thanks in advance for the help

Excellent question.
Tagging in to see what others say.
I personally use my walking sticks, or my Stoney Point sticks with pole cat rear leg kicker.

I personally use a 13-23? Harris bipod when I'm hunting. If I'm shooting from a prone position and it's to tall I use my backpack to elevate my chest and help support the rear of the gun. If I'm shooting downhill or uphill I have plenty of length to compensate for the slope. And if I'm setting in a meadow the bipod fully extended is usually the perfect hight for me.
All the advice you get on here or anywhere for that matter is just that. Try several different types of rests and see what works for you in the field, shooting in the steepest area you can find. The bipod does add a fair amount of weight but is worth it to me.

PS good, waterproof boots (lowa,kennatrek, ect.) are worth there weight in gold when in the mountains.

I use the Primos trigger stick tripod. In fact, I just used it on a mule deer hunt in November and it worked great...made the shot standing no problem.

I bought an evo bipod. Will buy the tripod mount to use it on my manfrotto tripod. I will be checking out other shooting sticks that can double as a walking stick as well. Thank y'all so far.

I use the Primos trigger stick tripod. In fact, I just used it on a mule deer hunt in November and it worked great...made the shot standing no problem.

^^What he said. ^^ My guide carries the Primos Trigger Stick Tripod, and sets it up as I move into position behind it. It is very steady, and it has come in very handy the last several years since he started carrying them. Shooting from the standing position is no problem (very steady). They can also be adjusted to a lower position when sitting near a waterhole or any makeshift blind.

Me, too. A good product for the price. I also have the Primos single pole shooting stick.

I'm sure that one could spend a lot more for shooting sticks, but I'm not sure that the price premium would equal better product.

The Primos trigger stick tripod is a good product. What's the BEST set of shooting sticks just depends on the situation. The Primos tripod is good for uphill shots from a kneeling or seated position.

You can also remove the rifle "V" rest on it and install a tripod camera mount. Then it make a good spotter tripod. Kinda a versatile that way.

You are going to love the Evolution bipod, I bought one for my new 28 Nosler I built, for my trip to colorado this year. Needless to say it worked out great. I shot my deer at a close 300yards, cow at 768 yards and a 5x5 bull at 968 yards. The evolution helped me out in some tough shooting positions, bedded the bull on the last day at 6;15am and shot him at 5;10 PM.I spent a lot of time behind that bipod waiting for that Bull to give me a shot, and got to tell you I love it, a little pricey but worth it!:D

You are going to love the Evolution bipod, I bought one for my new 28 Nosler I built, for my trip to colorado this year. Needless to say it worked out great. I shot my deer at a close 300yards, cow at 768 yards and a 5x5 bull at 968 yards. The evolution helped me out in some tough shooting positions, bedded the bull on the last day at 6;15am and shot him at 5;10 PM.I spent a lot of time behind that bipod waiting for that Bull to give me a shot, and got to tell you I love it, a little pricey but worth it!:D

Didn't you use the tripod adapter?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.