Best scope

If 20 people answer that you'll have a list of 25 different scopes.

Truth is it really just depends on what you are looking for. Top quality glass is very expensive, but after that there are so many factors that go into making a scope that there is no definitive best.

No matter where I hunt I want the best glass under twenty ounces with the ability for seeing minute detail and excellent low light performance.

One place where I hunt all one needs is a scope that will stay put once zeroed. No need for dialing. It would be nice if the reticle moved the correct amount when sighting it in.

Another place where I hunt one can shoot as far as his ability allows. Therefore something with variability like a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50, if it has good turrets, would be fine. I have two that weigh 22 ounces. The Nightforce has better glass but is heavy for me.

So I guess the best scope is tough and consistent as a Nightforce with weight and broad variability of the 6500.

Another thing that the scope should have is the hydrophobic coating Bushnell uses. I accidentally breathed on my Nikon scope while deer hunting this year. It was drizzling so the humidity was terrible. It took several minutes for the lens to clear.

The best scope out there if you need to beat a deer to death is a Nightforce.
The best scope out there if you need to beat the brush is a reflex 2 moa dot.
The best scope out there for LRH depends on whether you dial or mil or moa.
The best scope out there if you do a combination of these things is something else
The best scope out there is a reaaaaaaaallllllly silly question.

Didn't mean to be a dick but the question is so incredibly general that writing a response is impossible really. No info as to the application or usage makes the question impossible to answer intelligibly. Tell everyone best at WHAT and you might get some better responses. Every application and the operator using it, is different.

Didn't mean to be a dick but the question is so incredibly general that writing a response is impossible really. No info as to the application or usage makes the question impossible to answer intelligibly. Tell everyone best at WHAT and you might get some better responses. Every application and the operator using it, is different.

I don't agree. The best scope is one I can use for everything. It is no more than twenty ounces. Has great internals for twisting and great low light properties with hydrophobic coating. It has a broad range of magnification range; which is possible today. Best, of course, would have to ignore cost.

If this question gets enough time, maybe a scope company will try for it. March has a 2 1/2-25X that is really close to this already.

I don't agree. The best scope is one I can use for everything. It is no more than twenty ounces. Has great internals for twisting and great low light properties with hydrophobic coating. It has a broad range of magnification range; which is possible today. Best, of course, would have to ignore cost.

If this question gets enough time, maybe a scope company will try for it. March has a 2 1/2-25X that is really close to this already.

I don't adjust a scope except for sighting in so as long as it's good for that IDC about twisting knobs. Therefore click feel and absolute tracking accuracy has less importance for ME than many. Also I am a MOA guy. My best scope would be unusable to a MIL guy. For some a huge objective and 34mm tube is needed for night hunts. Others won't want the ring height or weight of a 56.
A scope I am shooting right now for example is something that many of us wouldn't consider "BEST" but in many circumstances it will massively outperform that March. It's a Burris Eliminator III on a 6.5 Creed AR-10. Glass sucks. It's huge, probably weighs 4 pounds lol. It's electronic and may break down on me. However, if I am under 1300 yds from something and need to make a shot NOW, it is the best scope out there. I can calc and kill in under 5 seconds probably under 2-3 in most instances.
If a critter is going somewhere, (they usually are), THIS IS THE BEST SCOPE. If the critter is bedded I would prefer the March on my 32 lb 338. Once again it's all about APPLICATION and the OPERATOR.
I regularly shoot with 80-150 guys who run the standard NF, Razors and SB. Some have to range, input data and then dial. Others range, input data and then hold reticle. Some have RFs that don't require them to input the data so they range and dial or hold. All of them are MASSIVELY slower than me to engage and most of them shoot as teams so there is two of them calcing and making a shot. I still outrun them by 30 seconds and I am ALONE.
Different scopes for different folks. The REAL BEST SCOPE will do the following.
Weigh under 20 OZ.
SB quality glass.
NF quality construction.
Horus style reticle.
Full weather station including wind and mirage read.
Inclination.
Automatically adjust and light up hold point for range, wind, atmospherics.
This is all possible RIGHT NOW. We will see how long it takes. And please don't say TRACKING POINT.
As of right now, FOR MY APPLICATION, the Burris Eliminator III is the best COMPROMISE for me. Still wouldn't even think of calling it the BEST SCOPE.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.