Best Reloading Manual And Why?

I have the Lee manual, Lyman 50th, Lyman for Cast Bullets and the Berger manual. I use them all. The Lyman 50th, 51st manual is out now, is my favorite. The Lee comes in a close 2nd place.
Does the Lyman book have a lot of recycled loads or does it have newer powders for all of the cartridges? The newest Lyman I have is #47. Thanks!

I've been using Hodgdon's Annual manual.
Reasonably priced. Good info.
I like the manuals. Interesting reading, plus you have all your trim lengths and cartridge dimensions. I also like seeing all the different powders min and max listed. Before I pull the trigger (pun intended) on a load I'll double check info on line to get latest info.

Like most of you, I have many reloading manuals but recently bought Pet Loads to cover an obsolete caliber. I found this amazing manual to be useful on other common calibers. A good comparison to the many load manuals. Been reloading since the late 50s and learn more every day from this forum.

Like most of you, I have many reloading manuals but recently bought Pet Loads to cover an obsolete caliber. I found this amazing manual to be useful on other common calibers. A good comparison to the many load manuals. Been reloading since the late 50s and learn more every day from this forum.
Thank you! As @ lefty7mmstw Had mentioned Ken Waters Pet Loads earlier on in this thread, I researched this book and This is one I am going to buy with all of the updates to date.

Hello Lyle, I was able to locate the info you needed in my old Modern Reloading by RICHARD LEE He lists a starting Charge of 9.1 gns of Win 571 and a max charge of 10.2, I have attached a pic, Take care my friend, HK

EDIT: this was meant to be a PM, Brain Fog or was it a Fart? Can't remember! :p

Thank you! As @ lefty7mmstw Had mentioned Ken Waters Pet Loads earlier on in this thread, I researched this book and This is one I am going to buy with all of the updates to date.
Wise choice imo. I've had it for around thirty years, maybe longer. I have many load manuals and search the web for new loads. But "Pet Loads" by Ken Waters is STILL one of my favorites.

Pic didn't work the first time, Here ya go! OOPS, Meant to PM

This is for 10mm Auto, 180 gn Projos. And this is from "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee. Copywrite "1996"

Attachments

• DSCN4212.JPG
    DSCN4212.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I couldn't really say, sometimes the oldest of my manuals turns up some of the best data, and other times the newest has the most recent on the new cartridges, so with that said; I'll go with Sierra and Lee, yes the others are great, and many of them a little more technical, but... it's just my pick for right now... I do have the new Western Powder manual on the way, who knows it may turn up something I've never seen. A couple of pic's, there are more, many more. 😵‍💫 ;) Just my 0.2 Cheers

Reloading Books 3.jpg
Relaoding Books 2.jpg

I couldn't really say, sometimes the oldest of my manuals turns up some of the best data, and other times the newest has the most recent on the new cartridges, so with that said; I'll go with Sierra and Lee, yes the others are great, and many of them a little more technical, but... it's just my pick for right now... I do have the new Western Powder manual on the way, who knows it may turn up something I've never seen. A couple of pic's, there are more, many more. 😵‍💫 ;) Just my 0.2 Cheers

View attachment 399587View attachment 399588
Your bookshelf looks a lot like mine, Only yours is cleaner! 😩

Here are a few pics from the "Speer #6 Manual" from 1963 including a page by "George C. Nonte" on case forming, And another from "Jack O' Connor" Explaining how to read pressure signs. I have noticed most of the younger reloaders all use internet load data, It would do them well to read the whole book, Especially the section on reading pressure by using the fired primer as a gauge. I see a lot of threads where a guy is asking why his bolt is experiencing "Hard Lift" etc! And he quotes that other guy's are using so many grains and aren't getting pressure? Anyway, Many guy's that post hot loads are either on the edge of pressure or are getting pressure, I have never understood wanting to push it that hard!

Attachments

• DSCN4215.JPG
    DSCN4215.JPG
    956.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN4214.JPG
    DSCN4214.JPG
    958.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN4213.JPG
    DSCN4213.JPG
    857.3 KB · Views: 27
Have Speer, Hornady and Berger manuals. The Speer was the first and a good read starting out as a handloader. Still use the Berger manual when working with their bullets.

Have the Sierra load data app on my phone that's been handy. I also use Nosler's online data as well as Hodgdon's quite a bit also.