Best range finding set up

Grumpy1911

Wanted to know opinions
Mostly to be used for hunting but some longer range target shooting to 1 mile. Looking at the Leica hdb 3000 so you can have just one piece to pack. But not sure what everyone does about wind calculation. And they only give dope out to 1k. They have good reviews it seems. Or is it best to go with terripin x and kestrel elite?

Grumpy,

As to what is currently available, for solutions out to a mile, I would recommend looking at solutions that include the full AB or other solver. I like AB, so you might look at the following: Sig 2400 ABS (full AB onboard, but larger divergence, and depending on your wind process, it's not strong there); Sig 2400 BDX with a Kestrel with AB...when connected to the Kestrel, all the data is trasmitted via bluetooth to the Kestrel, where the numbers are crunched and then the solution is displayed in RF (has same divergence as the ABS); Sig 3k BDX...same as the 2400 in terms of working with the Kestrel, but has a much smaller divergence, and of course, it's a bino; Leica 2800.com...much like the 2400 BDX, except Leica glass and it also transmits DOF, where the Sigs do not. However, the Sigs are faster and the connection is faster to reconnect and more stable.

This is just a fast rundown, but you might take a look at these. I have or have had all of them except the ABS...they all have their strengths and weaknesses...but all are pretty good.

HTH!

Wanted to know opinions
Mostly to be used for hunting but some longer range target shooting to 1 mile. Looking at the Leica hdb 3000 so you can have just one piece to pack. But not sure what everyone does about wind calculation. And they only give dope out to 1k. They have good reviews it seems. Or is it best to go with terripin x and kestrel elite?

If you're shooting over a mile then I don't think it's a pick up and leave no sign situation. I don't see the problem with having multiple tools. A kestrel will give you your wind at you, the rest you will have to determine and average on mirage or in other ways to get your mid and target wind.

Kestrel with AB works really well in the 5700 elite.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.