Best quality gunsmith screwdriver set

Bigdog425

Checking what y'all think is the best driver set/brand. Looking for what's best quality not biggest or most tips. I had a torx head tool twist off removing a scope base and looking to get a new set. Wheeler, Real Avid, Knine, Chapman, Grace, Brownells…all have good reviews but all also have reports of tips breaking.
None are perfect but appreciate some collective wisdom/experience.
Cheers

Fix It Sticks are all the rage, and I've seen favorable reviews of their kits. Borka as well. They're kind of expensive. I have Sturtevant Richmont torque wrenches and drivers.

When you're choosing general purpose gunsmithing screwdrivers, virtually all of the kits with handles and tips are made in China. Yes folks even the Brownells tips (not the handles) are made in China. All are cheap and fortunately replaceable simply.

I have 4 of the Brownells Master kits spread about the shop for ease of access, but I have to get replacement tips every year or sooner because the tips are often soft. But Brownells still offers the 'Forever' Guarantee.

All of the other sets will perform as needed for general gunsmithing. Buy according to price or the selection of tips you want to have handy.

I also have the Grace individual drivers with wood handles and the Forster set of individual drivers. These come in handy when the movement of the tips in the handles become a hazard to surfaces.

For European shotguns:

J & R GURAM

Horn Handle Turn Screws​
1713794178860.png

😊

'Nother vote for Brownells.
Huge array of tips, makes it much easier to get a proper match to the screw head.
I have Bondhus as well.

Last edited:
Chapman is what I use,
Keep in mind most precision ground "tips" in gunsmith sets are designed to fit perfectly and SHOULD give rather than damage or mar the sometimes irreplaceable screw heads on fine rifles and shotguns.

Last edited:
And while that appears to be a reasonable assessment, the fit between the blade and the slot or star is only 1/2 of the problem. The actual fit of the tips into the handle is where the greatest potential for movement comes into play. That's where the fixed blades and the turn screws come into play. No movement and fitted to the slots.

This is also why gunsmiths always have drawers full and pegboards full of screw drivers. You will never have enough or just the right one.

;)