Best powder for 7mm08

Rupe

I have a 7mm08 barrel for my Striker now and I was hoping for some suggustions on what powder works well with a 168 or 175gr. SMK bullet and a 17" barrel for ranges out to 1000 yards.
Does anyone have any powders they would recommend? or a favorite load they think I should try?
Thank you in advance!
Rupe

I have a 7mm08 barrel for my Striker now and I was hoping for some suggustions on what powder works well with a 168 or 175gr. SMK bullet and a 17" barrel for ranges out to 1000 yards.
Does anyone have any powders they would recommend? or a favorite load they think I should try?
Thank you in advance!
Rupe

You might think in the lines of IMR 4350... but, I'm not sure where your going with a 17" barrel and bullets of that weight.. I'd say 1k supersonic is a bit of a reach.

Good luck

Thank you 426! If I can get the FPS at the muzzle, I should be just above 1200 fps at 1000 yards. Don't know if I can get there but I'm going to try. Just one of the joys of shooting LR with a specialty pistol. :D
Thanks again
Rupe

Rupe,
With H4350 you should get 2450 + fps out of the 17" tube no problem with the Berger 168 VLD target bullet. At your elevation (4300 ft) you will go sub-sonic at 1375 yards. A 1000 should be cake:D

-Mike

Rupe,
With H4350 you should get 2450 + fps out of the 17" tube no problem with the Berger 168 VLD target bullet. At your elevation (4300 ft) you will go sub-sonic at 1375 yards. A 1000 should be cake:D

-Mike

Thanks Mike Your the man! By the way.
You have WON this years give away!!!!

FREE 2 DAY GUIDED COYOTE HUNT FOR TWO!
Where Christmas Valley, Oregon
When Winter 2014/2015 winter
Free 2x1 Guide, lodging at the Dusty Boot Ranch bunk house,
dinners (if the wife will cook it for us) .
Things you will need to bring, Warm winter clothes, Firearms, Ammo, Beakfast, Lunch, sleeping bags,
and any personal equipment or supplies.
Tipping is optional, But a Nightforce scope would be an idea! :rolleyes:
Contact Rupe at the Dusty Boot Ranch for setting up the hunt.
phone: 1-800-***-****

Rupe

Thanks Mike Your the man! By the way.
You have WON this years give away!!!!

FREE 2 DAY GUIDED COYOTE HUNT FOR TWO!
Where Christmas Valley, Oregon
When Winter 2014/2015 winter
Free 2x1 Guide, lodging at the Dusty Boot Ranch bunk house,
dinners (if the wife will cook it for us) .
Things you will need to bring, Warm winter clothes, Firearms, Ammo, Beakfast, Lunch, sleeping bags,
and any personal equipment or supplies.
Tipping is optional, But a Nightforce scope would be an idea! :rolleyes:
Contact Rupe at the Dusty Boot Ranch for setting up the hunt.
phone: 1-800-***-****

Rupe
LOL!!!!
I thought I had already won that hunt!:D Don't know about the gratuity though!
You could always throat that barrel a little deeper too. Would give you a little bit more case capacity. H4350 has been a great performer in my 6.5-.284 and .243WSSM xp's. Good velocity and low ES's. -You know how accurate they are :D
What twist is the barrel you picked up?

-Mike

Mike I think it is 1:9.25 if I remember right. I will have to double check but I'm fairly sure that's it.

I was just making sure you know your a Winner! No matter what your wife told me.:D

Rupe

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.