Best Powder Dispenser For The Money

If throwing your powder I also like Harrel's Precision Powder measure.

Copy of the legendary Homer Culver Lyman 55 conversion insert.

I had 2 when I shot benchrest in the 80s. The spare remained unused till I shipped it to Bill Wylde (Wylde chamber fame) when I returned the 22-250 target rifle he loaned me. When he was terrorizing the FClass crowd in Canada he machined a body for the insert and loaded his ammo for 1000 yard matches with it in the hotel room.

FClass used standard numercal targets back then, not the 1/2 minute X ring of today.

Last edited:
The Chargemasters can be made to run better. All the software mods and gizmos for the spin tube help.

I machined an insert for the tube from a 22 barrel drop. The rifling and smaller diameter stabilized the overcharging.

All my friends with Chargemaster 1500 use inserts I made for them.

Last edited:
I use the RCBS Chargemaster Combo and am very happy with it. It speeds up my reloading and loads very consistently, 1/10th of a grain. I've had mine for many years. The new model with the cell phone Link I feel is an unnecessary gimmick. What's the purpose? You are sitting right next to the dispenser, so why look at your phone to see what it's doing when you can just look at the dispenser? Maybe you can reload while you're driving and texting?

Last edited:
I was in your same boat last week. After doing extensive research on the net, reading many reviews and and following many forum discussions, I ordered the RCBS Chargemaster Link. I was able to get it on a one day only sale for $249 from B*****lls. If your looking for the best money can buy, then get the fx120i Autotrickker V4, it is the "gold standard", I just couldn't justify the 1K cost. From my research it came down to the RCBS Chargemaster Link or the Chargemaster Supreme. With the sale price on the Link, it was the best bang for the buck. It arrives today, so I will let you know how it goes.

I use the RCBS Chargemaster Combo and am very happy with it. It speeds up my reloading and loads very consistently, 1/10th of a grain. I've had mine for many years. The new model with the cell phone Link I feel is an unnecessary gimmick. What's the purpose? You are sitting right next to the dispenser, so why look at your phone to see what it's doing when you can just look at the dispenser? Maybe you can reload while you're driving and texting?

The new Link and Supreme have redesigned trickle tubes that virtually eliminate over throws and negate the need for the McDonald's straw mod used on the older models. The Link model does not allow you to save loads to it. The App does allow saving your favorite loads and provides a very robust log to track your rifle and load data. Additionally the App can be easily updated by RCBS and hopefully they will add the ability for ladder tests to the App, which can't currently be done automatically in any of the Chargemasters. The Supreme model has a "powder learn" mode the significantly speeds up the throw time and eliminates the need to reprogram the trickler speed, as was done on the older models. Based on all my research both the Link and the Supreme are significant improvements on the 1500/combo, which were excellent units themselves.

Last edited:
Looking to add a new automatic powder dispenser to the reloading room. Looking for thoughts on the best one for the money.
Prometheus Gen II. Last time I looked $5,100.00 to purchases, and about $3,100.00 to lease. I guess the next is an Autotricker V4 + A&D FX-120. I have one on order, but won't see it until Sept-22. I will say one thing, I don't know just how accurate it is. I have and still do use an Ohaus Dial-O-Automatic Scales and have for a great many years.

Last edited:
I had two Intellidropper drops quit. Returned the first one now waiting on warranty of the second. Both Intellidropper quit between 5-900 rounds. I have a charge master lite now and it's 500 rounds in and still running strong. The Intellidropper are priced right but my two were not good. We will see what the third one does if/ they ship it too me.

I just picked up a Lyman Gen 6 from a friend of mine brand new. I have never been comfortable with electronic measures and scales, but after leveling it and zeroing with check weights I started to throw charges. Not for specific loads, just to check it against my old Ohaus 1010 scale. It surprised the crap out of me as to how accurate this thing was, I never expected it. I even tried the auto throw feature where after you dump the pan and put it back on the platen the scale automatically re-zeroes and dispenses the next charge without touching any buttons. Again I was amazed. I'm still most comfortable with my old method of more than 50 years, throw from an RCBS uniflow with a micrometer metering screw and then trickling up onto the Ohaus 1010. But I must say this Lyman Gen 6 has really got me thinking, it certainly is easier on my old eyes to see the large digital display than it is to see the tiny graduation lines on my balance beam.
Just my two cents worth.

I used a RCBS ChargeMaster for several years and it was accurate to +/- 0.2 grains, which seemed good for hunting loads out to around 500-600 yards. When I started to be interested in Long Range, it just took too long to weight each powder drop on a beam scale and trickle up to get the accuracy I was looking for.

One of the benchrest shooters showed me an AutoTrickler v4 and I had to have one. It arrived in late February and I'm super pleased with it. It takes a little experimenting to get the right speed settings for different powders but after that it is highly accurate and repeatable. Makes reloading fun again since it is so fast. I still have the ole ChargeMaster but it is now used only to weigh brass and bullets.