Best or easiest

KurtPiet

Maybe you folks can help settle something. I have a buddy that wants to shoot a 1000 yds. and do it consistently. I told him to start at 100 and work his way out to 1000 recording his MOA's or hold over per 100 yds. I know that there are calculators for it but in my line of thinking to be sure wouldn't it be best to do it in 100 yd. increments and record you results or go by the calculator??

KurtPiet,

You can just get you bullet BC, speed , zero, scope height, and run all that on a ballistic calculators, and you will be close. Then you would need the check on as many yardages as you can. These true zero can be added back in the calculator and make corrections.

Mark Schronce

I like to get a read at least three different ranges to settle on my drop charts. I usually set up at 200, 400, and 6-700 depending on the day to verify my numbers on the drops. The only problem is that if you don't have a calm day for the long yardage it can be difficult to determine the correct dope.

Tank

Checking drop in 10 - 100 yd intervals will wear out your shoes if ya have to walk.....

After proper barrel break in.

Step 1

While zeroing and working up a longrange load. Zero at 200. Load should have a Max velocity spread in the low teens or single digits. 15 FPS is a little much...... in my book.

Use the calculator/computer program to project the drops.

Shoot at 400, 600 and 800. Make adjustments to BC ........

Reshoot a 200, 800 and 1K to verify.

This sound simple but it really isn't. There's a lot of work involved. There ain't no free lunch when shooting much beyond 750 yds.

Anything to save barrel life is worth it.....

don't just pick up a gun and shoot 1000 yds. Takes practice and lot of bullets to know how YOUR gun shoots a given load, in VARIOUS conditions. 100 yd increments is fine, depending on experience.. hence , shooting at 100/200 vs. shooting 700/800 is going to wreak havoc if you don't have the skills .. and long distance shooting is a perishable skill.. . typically, zero at 100 and move out in 100's, less shots shorter distance, more at longer .. then zone in on your weaknesses.. fine tune.. in anutshell

Thanks for your answers. It kind of how I do it work up a load get it cronie. Try to get them as close to the same as I possibly came which is usually about 15 to 20 ft. apart. Work on my BDC formula and go to a ballistic calc and then go shoot using both my figures and the calculators figures. Sometimes there pretty close to the same. So I guess I'm doing something right LOL. Thanks again for your help. Kurt

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.