Best Muzzle Break for my gun?

Corvalliscory

I'm possibly wanting a muzzle break for my 300RUM. It's a browning A bolt with a #3 fluted barrel. What's the best one? I've never had one before. Alot of them seem reasonably priced, like around a couple hundred bucks installed or so. I just want one that looks nice and of course functions well. I've heard the hollands are good. I'm hoping I can get one shipped to me or my gunsmith and have them install it, so I don't have to deal with shipping the gun if possible. Suggestions? I appreciate any help.
Thanks, Cory

Re: Best Muzzle Break for my gun

i have a vias on mine. super efficient and becuase of the design is NOT that loud at all when firing without ears. it has multiple holes that directs sound in every direction including forward. looks like swiss cheese even from muzzle end. pain to shoot if laying in sandy spot. did that once. thought a dust devil attacked me and my spotter. from elevated like in a stand or over grass all is good. have taken three with it this year and i swear it is quiter than my non breaked 6.5x.284. my hunting partner was about 1000 yds through the woods, swore it wasn't me that shot this morning due to the lack of report. There are others i have maybe better for prone duento the lack of holes in bottom but are LOUD. would never shoot them w/o ears on.

Okay thanks. That helps alot. Does aps sell muzzle breaks without Kirby installing himself? Are they the best? Feel free to pm me. Just want to not regret my choice. So many options...

The Holland brakes are hard to beat. I will be range testing some of Jim See's Muscle brakes in the morning. They are a similar design but differ in the first port to help deflect some of the report away from the shooter. My test will be on a 7mm Rem mag and a 338 Win Mag. I prefer the baffled brakes to the Vias / KDF style brakes due to the ground blast that the 360 degree ported brakes cause.

For all out recoil reduction, the fat bastard is hard to beat. Although the guys next to you will not be your friends afterwards? I am not a fan of radially discharge muzzle brakes, I believe the only thing they are good for is covering the objective lens with as much dirt as you can find. We fired 25 rounds out of a Vias in 338 lapua and removed 2 teaspoons of dirt from the sunshade and that was with a shooting mat under the brake!

Corvalliscory,
We have 3 300 RUMS in our group, all have 3/4 inch dia Gentry brakes on them.
Gentry brakes are ported all the way around but 11 degrees foreward therefore no back blast, less noise than most brakes, and I have never had a problem with dirt in my eyes. We shoot 210 vlds at 3150fps in sporter weight rifles(8-1/2 lbs ready to hunt), and these brakes make it comfortable enough for my friends 7 year old boy to shoot in a t-shirt. That being said, brakes like Kirby,s painkiller, Jim,s muscle brake,or Hollands brake will further reduce recoil but make a lot more noise doing it. I personally think that the Gentry Quiet brake is the best compromise for a hunting rifle.
We put them on everything from 6.5 WSM's to 30-378's and have never regretted it.

Okay thanks. That helps alot. Does aps sell muzzle breaks without Kirby installing himself? Are they the best? Feel free to pm me. Just want to not regret my choice. So many options...

Yes! General Price List

APS Painkiller muzzle brakes Small Painkiller muzzle brake $165 shipped, $265 installed + return shipping

Medium and Slim Painkiller muzzle brake $190 shipped, $290 installed + return shipping

Large 5 port Painkiller muzzle brake $250 shipped, $350 installed + return shipping

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi8kwZw-h6A"]338 Edge velocity testing - YouTube[/ame]

8 pound complete 338 Edge handgun with med sized brake.

centershotrifles.com

I had Kirby send me a Painkiller, Just had to get a smith to mount it for me. The plus side to it is a HUGE reduction in recoil, my 358 Norma mag now kicks less than my 270 win. No exagerating here, I shot 68 rounds in an afternoon as fast as the barrel cooing would let me in a t-shirt. Not too bad for a 9 1/4 lbs gun. Previously I could only shoot 6 or so before I started to flinch. After 10 I usually just gave up. Now the downside to it is it is loud, even in the field. I shot a whitetail doe this fall with it without any hearing protection and I kind of wish I hadn't. My ear is still ringing 3 weeks later, won't be doing that again thats for sure. If you want a great brake for range use I would definately recommend the painkiller, but either get a thread cap made for it and take it off for hunting or make sure that you and anyone near you have ear protection on when you shoot

I have several brakes from various mfgs.

Holland is hard to beat. They are very effective and minimal dust.

They are usually in stock at Midway.

No brake produces less noise for the shooter than the un-braked rifle itself.

If you want quiet, get a suppressor. Otherwise, you should wear hearing protection with or without a brake.

-- richard

I've had good performance with my Titanium Brake just put one on a CDL 300 RUM and sent it out for break in and was told it was one of the best he had shot.

150.00 Shipped
250.00 Installed

Attachments

• Brake Titanium.jpg
    Brake Titanium.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 210
I just ordered 2 breaks from Steve. You will not find a more nice, willing to help person in your whole life. Truely a gem. Please give him a call. It is well worth your time!!! There are many breaks out there, but my vote is with Elk Meadow Performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.