Best Load for Remington 700 CDL SF in 7mm mag

Enforcement88

I just got this gun and was wondering if anyone already had it and knew what reload combination it likes. It has a 26 inch barrel with a 9 1/4" twist rate.

What works in your gun, and the identical one that rolled off the line behind it, will not be the same. Every gun is different. I run H1000 powder and Nosler 160 Accubonds and berger VLD (168 & 180) bullets.

Honestly, pick the brand of bullets you want to shoot and get a specific reloading manual for that brand.

You can go to any manual and pick out a load for your cartridge and bullet weight and have just as much luck with it as you would duplicating mine. If there was any consistancy at all, the loading companies would have a list of guns a given load would be "best" in and everyone would be buying the manual listing their favorite; there are no such lists.

Nor is there anything special to learn about any bullet from it's maker. Pick a cartiidge, a powder and bullet weight from your manual, start low and work up slowly until you get best accuracy or reach book max or experience over pressure symptoms.

I have a 7mmRM reamer and have built 4 rifles and have 2 factory rifles.

I have given up on some powders after years of trying; Re22, H4831sc, H4895,
I have given up on some bullets; Berger VLD 180 gr hunting, 140 gr VLD hunting, Hornady 175 gr spire, 130 gr combined technologies silver tip, 160 gr Barnes triple shock, 150 gr Hornady BTSP, Hornady 154 gr RN.

I have not given up on Hornady 162 gr SST, they make good accuracy and good kills, but I am doing a little better with the Ballistic tips.

What I do now:
120 gr Nosler Ballistic tip H4350 moly coat and 7 gr more than Hodgdon published max. Most rifles do 3650 fps.

150 gr Nosler Ballistic tip H4350 moly coat and 9 gr more than Hodgdon published max. Most rifles do 3350 fps.

69.5 h-4831 and a 139 ir 69 h-4831 and 140 accubond. rem adl 700. wlrm or 9.5 m or cci250.

I've struggled with the 700 CDL SF in 7mm mag. Crappy grouping between 4-6" out of factory loads. After reading millions of posts, I went with Retumbo and some Speer 175 game kings having heard heavier bullets may do better with the 1 in 9 twist rate. Bracketing from 67-73 grains, I've settled at 72.5 grains and have gotten down to 1-1/4" groups.
Still nowhere near where I would like to be but good enough to give me a modicum of confidence in using this to hunt muleys.
I've also had success at 70.2 grains with the above powder and projectile. Oh yeah, using CCI LRM primer- that's all I could get at the time I started working this up. I'd like to try some 162s, 168's but have limited time to test. Maybe next year.

Btw, most of the factory rounds I tried(4-6" @100) were 140-150 gr. tried rem core loc, fed, and winny's. I couldn't get much better of the shelf locally at that time. I got tired of sending my money for the crappy factory rounds and that is the story of how I began reloading for long rifle...

I see that this is a resurrectected post, however, someone may still find this info useful. This is a load combo that has worked very well for me in several models of factory Remington 7RM rifles.

168 berger HVLD .070 from the lands
Winchester or Hornady brass
70.7 grains H1000
CCI 250
Velocity 3000-3025 fps depending on barrel length.

I've had outstanding success with H4831. I've shot Speer 145gr SPBT, Hornady 154gr SP, Sierra 160gr SBT. I use CCI 250. I use the old school method of reloading during hot weather and push the load until primers begin to flatten and crater. As I reach the upper limits I slow down to 0.3gr steps in powder charge using a cronograph to keep track of how hot the load is getting. I have not given you-all a exact charge deliberately. With 7mm RM, I have never had to go thru more 60rd of reloads to come up with a satisfactory load. To be honest the 150gr Rem Corelock factory load is pretty **** good if you are up against hunting season and do not have time for load development.
Good luck!

I've struggled with the 700 CDL SF in 7mm mag. Crappy grouping between 4-6" out of factory loads. After reading millions of posts, I went with Retumbo and some Speer 175 game kings having heard heavier bullets may do better with the 1 in 9 twist rate. Bracketing from 67-73 grains, I've settled at 72.5 grains and have gotten down to 1-1/4" groups.
Still nowhere near where I would like to be but good enough to give me a modicum of confidence in using this to hunt muleys.
I've also had success at 70.2 grains with the above powder and projectile. Oh yeah, using CCI LRM primer- that's all I could get at the time I started working this up. I'd like to try some 162s, 168's but have limited time to test. Maybe next year.

Btw, most of the factory rounds I tried(4-6" @100) were 140-150 gr. tried rem core loc, fed, and winny's. I couldn't get much better of the shelf locally at that time. I got tired of sending my money for the crappy factory rounds and that is the story of how I began reloading for long rifle...

I've also had pretty good luck with Sierra Gamekings and Retumbo at about .020 off the lands in my $200 beater pawn shop Remington 700.

[/QUOTE]. To be honest the 150gr Rem Corelock factory load is pretty **** good if you are up against hunting season and do not have time for load development. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips! I wish my rifle digested those off the shelf corelock's. It just doesn't respond well. I mean really, 4-6" @ 100 yards using remington ammo in a remington rifle.

I will try some of the lighter loads from the 135-150 gr. range, after I dial in my 162,168, and 175 gr loads. They have been the focus due to info I've read regarding barrel length and twist rate.

If anyone else know something different, by all means speak up. I'd love to hear your experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.