Best load development process for hunting rifle

Horrible advise and another use waste of money. My 30s are only good for .5 moa for around 1k rounds. I have a load for my newest 30 Nosler in less than 30 rounds with new brass. Once fired sped up ~20fps I will drop the charge to get back to the node and it will be good again. The barrel will speed up around 100 rounds and I will do the same. Drop the charge and be right back it the node. I can not for the life of me understand why I would waste 1/3-1/2 the barrel life just flinging rounds. My carbon barrels are 1k ready to roll add about 50 cents per round in components and I just wasted $500. I think I will pass.
My point was not to fret about it. Literally don't shoot if you want to save money. In my circumstance I fought with the 180eldms trying to get a load, Tried 180hybrids after I had a 170 elds through my proof barrel and in 24 rounds had a good load. Sometimes plans don't work or you select a poor component or components. I maybe was a little high at 3-400 but Even at 300 rds you have plenty of barrel left to hunt with. Point I was making is when you're wanting to save rounds that's the time you might run up against a wall so relax and enjoy it. At least that's what I tell myself lol.

My point was not to fret about it. Literally don't shoot if you want to save money. In my circumstance I fought with the 180eldms trying to get a load, Tried 180hybrids after I had a 170 elds through my proof barrel and in 24 rounds had a good load. Sometimes plans don't work or you select a poor component or components. I maybe was a little high at 3-400 but Even at 300 rds you have plenty of barrel left to hunt with. Point I was making is when you're wanting to save rounds that's the time you might run up against a wall so relax and enjoy it. At least that's what I tell myself lol.

Gotcha. I would say don't fall in the love with the first load because just as I stated it will have to be tweaked but you can and should find the node your combo prefers.

Gotcha. I would say don't fall in the love with the first load because just as I stated it will have to be tweaked but you can and should find the node your combo prefers.
I wrote it poorly lol, it reads different than I meant. I could not get a consistent load with the elds that did not produce flyers. I'm confident I have the best load found, but for some reason they won't shoot as well as the hybrids. So I'll just use those

I wrote it poorly lol, it reads different than I meant. I could not get a consistent load with the elds that did not produce flyers. I'm confident I have the best load found, but for some reason they won't shoot as well as the hybrids. So I'll just use those

Gotcha. Yes some barrels just don't like some bullets or powders.

I built 2 30stws years back. Both same barrel type and reamer. One loved 215s w/r33. One loved 155s w/4831sc. Taught me a good lesson. Both killed just fine because of ridiculous accuracy.

Currently I would suggest googling Alex Wheeler ladder and Jason Baney ladder. Also just look around LRO for other great information. There may be less posts but there is less BS.

Thanks for the link. I have a question about the testing at distance. I know that a lot of bench rest guys use super powerful scopes that are anywhere from 32 up to 60 power on the top end. I don't have a scope anywhere near that powerful, 25 is my highest. I wonder how much difference that makes when getting accurate results? Would buying a powerful 50-60 power scope be worth it for better results? I shoot steel and normally use 5-25 power scope at mid power.

I have access to some farmland to shoot a ladder at 300 and possibly out to 800 to 1K when the cattle are off, the weeds are short and the conditions good (which is rare in SW Oklahoma). I will be prone with bags and a bipod. Using that equipment, do you still think 300 and 1000 yards are realistic for accurate testing or do you have some other distances you would recommend?

Personally, I use a good front rest and heavy rear bag for load development. Then bipod and field bag for dope. As for scope, I will shoot some loads with my usual 6-24 at 500 then switch to my br 60x scope and show the difference. I do load testing with 24 99% of the time.

My distance is 400 for rough ladder and usually 1k for final. 800 is good enough to show though.

Personally, I use a good front rest and heavy rear bag for load development. Then bipod and field bag for dope. As for scope, I will shoot some loads with my usual 6-24 at 500 then switch to my br 60x scope and show the difference. I do load testing with 24 99% of the time.

My distance is 400 for rough ladder and usually 1k for final. 800 is good enough to show though.

I'm afraid to ask this, what is the least expensive decent front rest you would suggest?

How much difference do you see when you switch scopes? Is it worth getting a good scope just for testing?

I don't plan on getting a new gun this year so I could get some "equipment" instead.

Thanks for the link. I have a question about the testing at distance. I know that a lot of bench rest guys use super powerful scopes that are anywhere from 32 up to 60 power on the top end. I don't have a scope anywhere near that powerful, 25 is my highest. I wonder how much difference that makes when getting accurate results? Would buying a powerful 50-60 power scope be worth it for better results? I shoot steel and normally use 5-25 power scope at mid power.

I have access to some farmland to shoot a ladder at 300 and possibly out to 800 to 1K when the cattle are off, the weeds are short and the conditions good (which is rare in SW Oklahoma). I will be prone with bags and a bipod. Using that equipment, do you still think 300 and 1000 yards are realistic for accurate testing or do you have some other distances you would recommend?

I have used 22x NXS up to 32x NX8. I see no difference in the results. If you can't get over 500 I would skip the ladder and do the OCW at 100. I use the Atlas listed below and have recently(it's new) started using Jeff's rear rest. I shoot all my ladders prone with these. I have done them on a bench in the past. It works too. I will still use a bench if the weeds are too tall. I have the same issues you speak of, cattle and weeds. No matter what method you use you MUST be solid with your shot execution as with the case with any load development. The Rock BR from caldwell will be hard to be for the purposes we need if you to not want to spend the money on a nice bipod by realistically you should have a good bipod regardless. I harris will get the job done I just find less vertical consistently with the Atlas.
https://www.accu-shot.com/catalog_new/atlas-bipods-official-manufacturer/237-bt65-lw17.html
https://www.evolutionbipod.com
http://www.longrangeonly.com/store/#!/Hunters-Wedge-Bag/p/146645844/category=22500187

I have used 22x NXS up to 32x NX8. I see no difference in the results. If you can't get over 500 I would skip the ladder and do the OCW at 100. I use the Atlas listed below and have recently(it's new) started using Jeff's rear rest. I shoot all my ladders prone with these. I have done them on a bench in the past. It works too. I will still use a bench if the weeds are too tall. I have the same issues you speak of, cattle and weeds. No matter what method you use you MUST be solid with your shot execution as with the case with any load development. The Rock BR from caldwell will be hard to be for the purposes we need if you to not want to spend the money on a nice bipod by realistically you should have a good bipod regardless. I harris will get the job done I just find less vertical consistently with the Atlas.
https://www.accu-shot.com/catalog_new/atlas-bipods-official-manufacturer/237-bt65-lw17.html
https://www.evolutionbipod.com
http://www.longrangeonly.com/store/#!/Hunters-Wedge-Bag/p/146645844/category=22500187

I have the evolution bipod and some bags. I'll see how it goes when I get a chance. Thanks.

I'm afraid to ask this, what is the least expensive decent front rest you would suggest?

How much difference do you see when you switch scopes? Is it worth getting a good scope just for testing?

I don't plan on getting a new gun this year so I could get some "equipment" instead.
I'm a cheapskate so I only spend money on things that show up on paper ($100+ scope levels!?)
I have this rear bag
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006MFYQ5C/?tag=lrhmag19-20
This front rest
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HS7I2VM/?tag=lrhmag19-20
Hard to say the difference between 24 and 60x at 500 regarding group size. I just don't use the 60x enough to be honest. I'll do a test this coming week and post results. I wouldn't get a scope just for testing. Rough ladder tests at 400-500 help then do groups after. That's all I do when I don't want to setup in the desert. Keep us updated!

Please don't be done! I appreciate your experience-tempered advice. I'm sure others would agree.

I'll second that Ryan.....Keep in mind that with ALL the "LR-relevant" forums, the presence of Ninjas, and "self declared" Experts that believe it's 'my way or the highway' is inevitable with success and growth. Having a good filter becomes a necessity. Please stick it out, your participation is valued. IMO, there are few forums that have the scale and scope of content, as well as accomplished hunters/shooters that this site has.

just picked up new rifle. This will ultimately be a hunting rifle with occasional range time.
I'm trying to decide what process to use to minimize number of rounds down the pipe if I can help it.
Thus is my first attempt at reloading for a magnum caliber.
Cooper M52 Open County Long Range 300 Win Mag (1-10 twist)
Atlas Brass
Berger 210 VLD Hunders
Federal 215 Mag Match Primers
RE-22 powder
Redding Master Hunter Dies

I was going to load up (3) sets of 10 rounds increasing powder charge by .5 grains only going as high as my Berger reloading manual states and shoot @ 300-500 yards. (Will load 15 rounds @ 2 gr below book max to use as barrel break-in/sighters/fowlers)

But.... should I start @ the lands? .01-.02 jump? I'd rather not jam.
Berger recommends a seating depth test @ .010, .040, .090, .120. But that seams like a lot of extra shooting for a magnum hunting rifle.

This is where I'd like your input please.
I would read up on Dan Newberry's OCW test. It will limit how many rounds to load up and you only need a 100 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.