Best Ideas for Accuracy - FRH vs. SRM type hunters explain their techniques details.

S1, you hit the nail right on the head. Practise, practise, practise. You gotta do it.

I know that I am a strong advocate of practise and so are all the experienced shooters on this site. I dread reading about a novice who goes to super gunsmith and buys a mondo magnum and figures he is good to 1000yds. Doesn't work that way.

In fact, I would rather they bought an off the rack Savage, Tikka, or Rem700 and spent the difference burning out that barrel. They would probably get incredible accuracy from this factory rifle too.

I personally enjoy the off season practise and shoot probably 500rds+ to every rd fired at a live target (that's centerfire, rimfire is a bunch more). Even with this volume of shooting, I do not consider myself a great reader of conditions.

Will I make first shot hits on rocks and stuff at 1000yds +? Absolutely. Will I make it everytime? Debatable.

With practise and experience comes the confidence to do what you are suggesting. I am a much better shooter now then 5 yrs ago. In the future, your idea of first shot, first hit may be a reality. It certainly would be in calm (ideal) conditions.

However, I have to accept the dynamics of wind and weather in the locations I hunt. I shoot over valleys with switching winds and lots of gusts. Can you learn to read this? Of course, you can. Can I dedicate shooting every other day to learn? Not likely.

I am not knocking either or any method. The user is responsible to develop the skills, tools and techniques necessary to accomplish the task. The guy behind the trigger gets the glory or the shame.

For me and harvesting game, I will always err on the conservative side. Will I make a "risky" shot? You bet. Will I do it everytime? No way.

To each his own...

Jerry

S1,

Now you join in and raise that 18" 1500yd bar, like I wasn't going to have a hard enough time with that one as it was.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Seriously, appreciate your comments and I'll try my best, as I'm sure it'll take all that and more.
grin.gif
Might even give the bipod a fair shot too.

To all
Been out of town for 3 days and have some things to catch up on, I see.

In response to some of the comments;

I would MUCH rather invest in a good set of bigeyes so I KNOW for sure where that bullet is going and also to get my shooting partner in on the game if he is pulling the trigger. He isn't a monkey but does wear a heavy brown coat with an orange vest. Sometimes you just can't see the far off bullet impacts in your scope for several reasons. Light changes or glare and recoil are two of those reasons.

As mentioned, it's certainly "not" rediculous in ANY stretch of the imagination to try both ways (One shot or spotter shot first) to determine which style you like to use.

S1 likes his way and I like mine. I'm sure he could teach many of us his way and I could teach many of you mine if the time permitted.

As per training monkeys to pull the trigger, he and I could probably train "each other" how to do that too.
grin.gif
--I think.

Most of the people on the forum don't have the luxury of extreme practice time. I would suggest starting out at a 1000 Yard rifle range and see what the bullet does at only 1000 yards during matches. After you experiance that, go to a place where you can stretch the legs of that rifle and bullet combination to see what it does.

Try "each" way and see which one "YOU" like.
I will say that the spotter method will be a much easier way for the LR shooter to pick up on.
You will be using the spotter system at the 1000 yard matches too, so it will be VERY familar to you when you reach out further.
You do need a friend with a set of bigeyes though when you start to reach WAY out there.

Please don't listen to S1 or myself, just try both ways yourself. We (he and I) are too set in our ways to give into the other and that comes from many years of shooting "OUR OWN WAY."
He has had success in his way and I have had in mine to 2100 yards on elk.

S1

If ever your in PA, let me know especially while the leaves are gone. I have a shooting area or two that you might just like.

The "closest" shooting is 1000 yards and we can go to 3000 yards from my property. We can even shoot inside my shooting building to those ranges, if you wish. I like to "practice" from the 1000 to the 2000 yard mark and a bit further.

My partner and I will be using the spotter system though and have our brown fur coats on.

Later
DC
smile.gif
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.