Best Factory .308 loads

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by rice, Aug 5, 2004.

1. rice

rice New Member

Well I went ahead and ordered my 700VS .308, I just hope I got one of the good ones. Before she arrives I would like to pick up some different factory BRANDS and BULLET WEIGHTS that she might like. I was wondering what you guys out there have had luck with, now I know all rifles like different rounds, but I am just trying to give my self a head start. For the time being I don’t plan on reloading, so factory ammo will have to give me my best results. Thanks everyone.

2. marlow 243

marlow 243 Well-Known Member

federal gold match 168 or 190gr. been good to me

3. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

Like marlow243 said Fed GM match in 168 or 175 is good but I like Black Hills 175. Better brass and brass prep than Federal.

4. Hillshot

Hillshot New Member

I have used the Federal GM and the Norma Diamond line 168's.Both are great with the Norma edging out the Fed. by a hair. Good luck [​IMG]

5. JustC

JustC Well-Known Member

Winchester supreme match 168gr BTHP work well in mine,..oh and they are the only factory ammo I have found to fit in my .336" neck. Nice small holes in colder temps,..but they open up slightly when it's hot outside. 1:11.25" twist, 21" hart tube.

6. Beargrease

Beargrease New Member

If you are going to be using it for big game hunting try the Remington Premier Scirocco's in 165 grain. Give me 1.75 " groups out of my '89 .308 Remington 700 Mountain Rifle at 200 meters. [​IMG]

7. Jeff In TX

Jeff In TX Well-Known Member

Rice,

I've got 10 boxes of Hornady 168 gr AMAX custom/match ammo for sell. Anyone that wants to make me an offer, I'm open. I've gotten into reloading now, and don't really need it anymore.

Out of my Rock barrel I get consistent groups in the .3's