best cartridge between 300mag and 300rum

ff.hogue

looking to build a nice 30 cal hunting rifle and was interested in hearing opinions. I want something more powerful than the 300 win, but not quite the kick of the rum. The weatherby is interesting, but i dont like the belted case because of the inherent loss in accuracy. Whats your opinion?

I had a 300 ultra and it wasn't so bad. I got the idea to reduce this some and had a muzzle brake installed and a recoil reducer placed in the stock. It was great then but I sold it because the muzzle blast was tremendous.
If you want 300 ultra performance you can do as I did or you can do as I should have done and just put a recoil reducer in.

The recoil reducer was as much for the balance, the gun was really front heavy but I think it did more for felt recoil than the brake did.

looking to build a nice 30 cal hunting rifle and was interested in hearing opinions. I want something more powerful than the 300 win, but not quite the kick of the rum. The weatherby is interesting, but i dont like the belted case because of the inherent loss in accuracy. Whats your opinion?

It is easy to load a 300 RUM down to 300win velocitys but hard to load a win up to RUM
velocitys.

And as to the belt issue .A belted case can be as accurate as ANY cartrige if set up right

I have a lot of belted rifles that all shoot well under 1/2 MOA so don't believe everthing
you hear about the belt.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Most of the issues with the belted case are much more myth then actual problems. Once a belted magnum case is fired one and as long as its resized correctly, it will headspace off the shoulder, not the belt, making it exactly the same as a beltless case as far as accuracy and consistancy.

As far as feeding problems, I would like to seen an example that proves the belt makes feeding a problem. Never have I seen this.

There really is not alot of optione between the Win Mag and RUM in a beltless case but there is one, the 300 Dakota. Its a fine chambering. The full equal to the 300 Wby Mag but shorter and beltless. Brass is not cheap but for a bit game rifle its not expensive to the point its a real problem. If you do go with the Dakota, I would recommend you get a good supply of brass on hand.

If your not opposed to a muzzle brake, the 300 RUM is very hard to beat for a long range 30 cal. Its advantage is not in hyper velocity but with the ability to drive long, high BC bullets to very good velocities increasing the ballistic potential of the 30 cal bore.

For your needs sounds like the 300 Dakota may be about your easiest option.

i was looking for the same thing you are when i built my custom, i decided to go with the .300 dakota and have not had any problems other than you cant buy the high end dies or the competition dies or the collet dies for it best you can do for dies is the standard redding dies which have worked for me so far. my gun shoots under and inch at 300 yards consistently. i have not had any trouble getting brass as of yet the older stuff was really soft and made by a company named mast, then hornady (unconfirmed) and now norma is supposedly making the brass. i have sent an e mail to dakota to confirm brass manufacturer and when i hear back i will let you know. go with the dakota and dont look back

i was looking for the same thing you are when i built my custom, i decided to go with the .300 dakota and have not had any problems other than you cant buy the high end dies or the competition dies or the collet dies for it best you can do for dies is the standard redding dies which have worked for me so far.

You can get great dies if you know where to look. www.neiljones.com makes some of the the best custom dies in the world and turn around is normally 30 days.

You can get them in FL shoulder bump (which no one else makes) and micro seater. Normally around $175 for the FL die and $100 for the BR micro seater. FL die is honed to fit your chamber exactly.

How many guys paid over $275 from a smith for standard FL die set (not bushing, much less shoulder bushings and not honed to that chamber) that the smith made? Bet a lot.

BH

Build the 300 Rum with a muzzle brake and don't look back. Build a 1 in 10 twist and shoot heavy bullets for long range and shoot 168 gr bullets for shorter under 600 yard range. Awesome caliber!

Build the 300 Rum with a muzzle brake and don't look back. Build a 1 in 10 twist and shoot heavy bullets for long range and shoot 168 gr bullets for shorter under 600 yard range. Awesome caliber!

I would build th e 300 ultra, it is hard to beat. I have both and both work but the ultra lays the lumber way out there.

I have heard good things about the 300 RSAUM, but it will not give you quite the velocities of the 300 WM. You could look at the 308 BAER, or the 300 Jarrett, which are identical to the 300 Weatherby. Both would give you 2950-3000 fps with 190-210gr Berger's. They also don't have the radius shoulder of the Weatherby. Both very good calibers for there case capacity.
Not quite the 300 RUM, but not quite the recoil either.

Thanks trueblue I bought one last year just because I could see them getting pushed aside and I always had a place for the unusual and being a Ruger collector I couldnt pass it up when I saw it. paid 375.00 and that was shipped from Texas to Ohio. It is a tack driver but the muzzel jump and recoil are terrible on this little rifle, definatley needs a muzzle break. My buddy brought his 300 over one day and his senderio doesnt kick or jump near as bad. The only data I could find to compare was they were identical on I believe 220 gr. bullets as far as velocity and energy

Thanks, Stan

You can get as close to the RUM as you need to be with a properly set up 300WM. My 300 WM gives me 3150 with 200 grain bullets and 3250 with 180s. I had one load go 3450 with 180 NPTs but haven't tested further to make sure it wasn't an "Oops".

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.