Best Caliber Rifle Elk

Im going to be 59 in couple months.I carry more rifle, that is lighter,bipod, 2x the optics,3x the range finder.Of when I was younger. Im probably slower on a fast timber shot, but better at LR. I packed a 340 wby for over 35 years,shot a few bulls and first as my son too with 243. Been shooting bulls across canyons for 30+. For my type of hunting a 338 rules. I did 14 hard mountain miles on one hunt last fall muley hunting.Still want it just as bad as I did when I was 20. But cant handle as much tough terrain.Last 12 years been running 338 NM, we get several animals a year in the 5-600 range. Have several friends running same, ones rifle has taken close to 40 elk, many pushing 1000 yrd. Shot a few bulls in ID and MT with my 325 wsm,son too in the 500 y range 200 NAB.I packed that lil 325 for years because so light,but always felt under gunned for the area I ran.
Yeah, always wanted 338 RUM! 3 guys in our group shoot 338's ,2-RUM's - 1-Lapua , the rest of us 300 weatherby mag 's, yeah ,I have seen the 338's in action many times 700 to 800 yds, and stone dead .

Sorry just noticed that you have a 6.5 CM. Personally I'd roll with that one. Get a good bullet, put in a good place and good things will happened.
Oh for crying out loud man what is wrong with you!?!?!?

and I don't mean about the 6.5 cm not being up for the job, I'm sure it could kill an elk (my aunt kills them with a .243, is just patient and very choosy about shot placement - don't matter too much what the chambering is if you're willing to wait for broadside at reasonable range and pop both lungs with an ordinary soft point it's game over and meat in the freezer)

But this new member has before him an excuse, er, need (cough cough) to buy a new rifle. He NEEDS one. Others in his life must therefore understand that the rifle he already owns is totally inappropriate for the job at hand, they need to know he NEEDS A NEW GUN!!! And you come along undermining the legitimacy of that need? Come on!!!!

🤣🤦🏻🤪

Hi everyone, so I am new Elk and deer hunter. I grew up hunting mostly upland game. I am going on a guided Elk hunt in October in Idaho and I looking to purchase a larger caliber rifle than my 6.5 creedmoor. I've ready many articles debating this topic. I am a big guy 6-3 230. Not afraid of a little sore shoulder or kick. For a new hunter would you go 30-06, .300 MAG or even 300 WSM. I hunter mule deer there last year and the terrain is steep so and rugged so obviously weight is an issue. I was looking into the Tikka superior WSM or lite 300. Would appreciate any guidance! Thank you.
I would focus on what you already have and consider upgrading scope mounts and rings. If the 6.5 Creedmoor is al you have; Yes upgrade. I would focus on what type of round do you like i.e. 30 cal, 7mm, 6.5, etc. If you reload or want to reload should also be a consideration. To get straight to is a Begara, Tikka, or Browning are great rifles for under $1,000. The glass is the real focus; I would look at Vortex (about $1,000) and Night Force (SHV First Focal Plane $1,300) and quality rings and bases. ALSO GET A SCOPE LEVEL! Then use a chronograph to get your real velocity and NOT what the box says. Use some ballistic software to figure out your baseline data. The most important and expensive part is actually find a 500 yard range and go shoot to record actual data!

Sound like a lot of work? You bet it is, but when you see that Elk drop in less than 10 yards totally worth it. Also go with a magnum round; most are going to give you 1500 lbs of energy on target. The 500 yards is a self imposed limit and if you are regularly shooting accurately your first cold bore shot; adjust for you comfort level. I would also ask your hunting guide for their recommendation as well as average expected shot range.

Im going to be 59 in couple months.I carry more rifle, that is lighter,bipod, 2x the optics,3x the range finder.Of when I was younger. Im probably slower on a fast timber shot, but better at LR. I packed a 340 wby for over 35 years,shot a few bulls and first as my son too with 243. Been shooting bulls across canyons for 30+. For my type of hunting a 338 rules. I did 14 hard mountain miles on one hunt last fall muley hunting.Still want it just as bad as I did when I was 20. But cant handle as much tough terrain.Last 12 years been running 338 NM, we get several animals a year in the 5-600 range. Have several friends running same, ones rifle has taken close to 40 elk, many pushing 1000 yrd. Shot a few bulls in ID and MT with my 325 wsm,son too in the 500 y range 200 NAB.I packed that lil 325 for years because so light,but always felt under gunned for the area I ran.
That drainage is big and gnarly!

OP - you probably haven't read down this far…
I moved from ID to AZ last summer And can say the steep in ID is def different. As in more so And depending on where you are going, wet(North), just plain f ing cold(middle) or dry as a bone(South- added for parity, not many elk in S,they all went to WY)
I don't know where you are in AZ but elevations are different as well. Think Flag as the lowest starting then up from there. And don't be surprised if magically it is "up" to the camp as well once the day is done… ;-) So, altitude training is a very good thing and acclimation time a must. Hydrate. Hydrate.
To the original Q tho - like many others, 300WM all day. IMO.
If you want to connect and talk more, I'm based in PHX.
I'm in Scottsdale. Shooter for many years but beginner hunter. For first elk rifle I support idea of 300WM even though I'm shooting 300 and 7 WBY's myself. Want to talk offline?

Since you are considering a factory Tikka, I assume you are budget minded and making a practical choice. In that case the most practical decision in the .30 caliber lineup would be the 30-06. Factory ammo is readily available, fairly priced and will take an elk at practical ranges. That elk will never know the difference with a well placed 165 to 180 grain hunting bullet out of an 06.

Many great suggestions regarding rifle/ cartridge choice. At this stage, if it were me, I'd find10 boxes of ammo in any caliber I could find with a bullet that will perform on elk and then pick a rifle in that chambering. Not much time left between now and October. I reload and am now hoarding the components I have to make sure I have ammo for next fall. Factory ammo is no more available than powder, primers and bullets.
true story. I'm loading for 6 and 6.5 CM . Ive had better luck getting powder than. hunting bullets.
2 years ago after my 6.5. build AR, I found 8- 1# cans of h4350 abd I snatched them up because e everybody said h4350 was THE powder of choice for those calibers. I've since bought RL17, hybrid100v, superformance, and just found a couple pounds of staball 6.5. The only hunting bullets I've been able to procure are 143 gr eldx and 103 gr eldx. Nosler ballistic tips or accubond are nonexistent. I did find some 87 gr vmax, but that's for coyotes and pdogs.
And primers have all but disappeared. Good thing we've(family reloading room) have some extras

My opinion, if its worth anything, is to take 125% more gun than you think you might need.
If its open country and a close shot might be 350 yards or as far away as 700...#1 you'd better be using a 30 caliber that carries enough energy to put a 1000# animal down. Oh, and put on the field shooting practice so to make a clean shot.
But there's no need to buy a big magnum when a 150 yard shot with a 30 06 will be sufficient.
So basically it all depends on 1- your ability to hit your target and the openness of the terrain you'll be hunting in.
Another thing...use a hunting(controlled ecpansion) type bullet especially if using magnum type load exceeding 3000fps MV.

Good luck on your hunt. Elk are mighty tasty

Last edited:
I love Tikka especially the 300 WM. That would be my first choice.As a Reloader I like the selections available for 300WM.

Hi everyone, so I am new Elk and deer hunter. I grew up hunting mostly upland game. I am going on a guided Elk hunt in October in Idaho and I looking to purchase a larger caliber rifle than my 6.5 creedmoor. I've ready many articles debating this topic. I am a big guy 6-3 230. Not afraid of a little sore shoulder or kick. For a new hunter would you go 30-06, .300 MAG or even 300 WSM. I hunter mule deer there last year and the terrain is steep so and rugged so obviously weight is an issue. I was looking into the Tikka superior WSM or lite 300. Would appreciate any guidance! Thank you.
Considering the calibers your looking at I would opt for the 300 Win Mag. Ballistically speaking there is not enough justification for the 300 WSM. Ammo is higher on the WSM and is not as available. Under current world events we need to definitely consider these factors when suggesting any caliber. I prefer the Christensen Arms 6.5 PRC but again availability is a concern. As far as WSM I do like that 270 WSM one of buddies recommended. There is some clear ballistic advantages over the standard 270 Win. Hope this may help.

I love My Tikka Lite 300 WSM I use Hornady Precision Hunter 200 grain with great success. (PS I am 58 and still carried all my great.