Best Caliber Rifle Elk

Very true!! I had a guy come to our ranch to shoot a buffalo he brought a 416 Rigby and he couldn't hit a buffalo at 100 yards we took a bucket out see if the gun was on and I could hit the bucket he just couldn't shoot the gun. I loaned him a 30-06 and he got along a lot better. the point being shoot a gun that you were honest with yourself comfortable to shoot, it would really suck to miss a nice bull elk at 250 yards because you flinched
I shot my bison with a 28 Nosler, plain and simple that was the biggest gun I was comfortable with at the time. The owner didn't like me using a 7mm but after it was down he was happy with the damage.

I guess that could be said about anything…I've spent a lot of time and money getting my pack from 80lbs to 30lbs. If I can help it, I'm also going to carry an 7-8lb (ideally I'd like a lighter one) rifle instead of a 10-11lb rifle. Being in shape is helpful, there's no doubt about it, but even being in the best shape you'd still be more efficient and have more energy day after day with a lighter pack and overall setup.
Always. I used to run ultrmarathons in the mountains. 50 milers. I don't care who you are 2 or 3 lbs at the end of a 10 day backpacking elk hunt makes a world of difference. Not only does every pound matter, every ounce matters. Guys not knowing this clearly have never done it.

Welcome mwrizona!

I'm new to the forum, but old at hunting elk (and just plain old!)
I began hunting elk at age 16 using a 270 Win, 150 gr Partitions in an early build Ruger 270 Win and a fixed 6x Leupold. With it I've killed about a dozen elk. Good bullet placement, and no doubt an element of luck, they all succumbed to a single, well-placed shot. I never felt undergunned. I hiked a lot and shot a little, so the relatively light-weight rig seemed just right for me.
Then life happened. I got busier, but made more money. So about 15 years ago I bought a Kimber Montana in 325 WSM, but still stuck with the 6x Leupold. I used factory ammo with 200 gr Accubond. This rig was even lighter than my Ruger - and kicked about twice as much! The next 8 elk dropped a little quicker, but no more dead. I am quite tolerant of recoil, so opted not to put a brake on it.

My guide friends always recommend bringing an adequate rifle (eg. 30-06 with premium 180 gr bullet) the client shot well and often, over a new rig (eg. 340 WBY with a dreaded brake!) that was unfamiliar to the hunter.

So if you can handle a 300 WM (or 300 WSM) in a relatively light rifle (Tikka seems a great option), load it with a premium bullet, and shoot it lots between now and your hunt, you will be well equipped.
Congrats on the ID tag! Hope you can draw an AZ tag in one of those incredible units in your state.
And show us your Grip and Grin pictures after the hunt.

(I know, this post seems heretical on a longrangehunting forum, but given the topic thought it was a relevant perspective)

Always. I used to run ultrmarathons in the mountains. 50 milers. I don't care who you are 2 or 3 lbs at the end of a 10 day backpacking elk hunt makes a world of difference. Not only does every pound matter, every ounce matters. Guys not knowing this clearly have never done it.
Thanks

Welcome to LRH and enjoy it! .300 WM, .300 WSM, and -30-06 in order. I have all three but the .300 WM remains my go-to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1KY. It boils down to personal preference and intended purpose.
I don't get out much anymore - and while the trusty old 30.06 is dang good - agree the 300 WM is better - but kicks a bit more - which you never notice when hunting. If you can shoot it ok - without flinching - go for it - otherwise - the 30.06 will do the job - just does not reach out as far.

One of my hs football teammates - moved to NE Oregon - and even did some Elk guiding in Idaho - and he is a big dude - was 6'4 - 250 lbs in hs and played OT. He started using a .338 - which he said really puts them down. The .338 is supposed to be a sharp kicker - while the .375 - which I have shot - is more of a push - not as sharp of a jolt.

But for all game in North America - except BIG Brown Bear - the 300 WM offers the most utility - from 130 grain to to 220 grain bullets.

Hi everyone, so I am new Elk and deer hunter. I grew up hunting mostly upland game. I am going on a guided Elk hunt in October in Idaho and I looking to purchase a larger caliber rifle than my 6.5 creedmoor. I've ready many articles debating this topic. I am a big guy 6-3 230. Not afraid of a little sore shoulder or kick. For a new hunter would you go 30-06, .300 MAG or even 300 WSM. I hunter mule deer there last year and the terrain is steep so and rugged so obviously weight is an issue. I was looking into the Tikka superior WSM or lite 300. Would appreciate any guidance! Thank you.
.300 WM with brake...light weight....done....or better...338WM but will be heavier...

Just some thoughts from me, if you plan to load eventually, I would look at the wsm. Easier to load in my opinion than the 300 WM. There is nothing wrong with the 30 06, but it has been around along time and is boring. Put a vx5 on it and you are set. Have fun and welcome to the west.....

If weight is your number one issue and you're set on Tikka, I'd be looking at 300 WSM. The short action should be a few ounces lighter. I haven't owned a Tikka but know others that have spoken highly about them. I've hunted with a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Winchester Magnum, harvested 5 elk with, and would be my first choice of caliber and first model other than the Tikka's to take a look at if open to options, although it's likely not the weight of rifle you are looking for. When I'm hunting dark backcountry timber in steep rugged terrain I take my Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308 Winchester. It's a pleasure to carry when in tough country. I've only harvested deer with this rifle. Again, if you're not already set on the Tikka's, my second recommendation is take a look at the Kimber. I'd stay with the short action in 300 WSM. My third option is Savage's 110 Ultralite in 300 WSM. I've only had experience shooting a Savage 111 FCNS in 300 WIN MAG so I don't have first hand shooting experience other than handling the Ultralite at my local gun store. Best of luck on your elk hunt this fall!
A short action Tikka will not be lighter. Tikka only has one action size. They just use a short action extractor for the shorter cartridges.
But, you can't go wrong with a Tikka.

Because light weight is your preference, beware that a Tikka or Kimber Lite magnum will really kick. Consider a .308 or 7mm-08.
My lightweight Browning 7mm-08 SS Stalker is a proven elk slayer in Idaho. Plus there is a great selection of modern hunting ammo in 7mm-08.

300 win mag is great. I have killed several elk with my 300 wsm too. The longest being 518 yards. Full pass through with a 180 grain federal trophy bonded tip. I think either of the 300's will satisfy your needs very well. The 7mm family is good to 7 rem mag or 28 nosler would get my vote in that caliber. Have fun out there and happy hunting brother.