Best Budget Custom Action Currently

I think I've narrowed it down to the Origin or the Tenacity. I can get the Tenacity for $796, which is cheaper than the Origin, but I'm also thinking about a switch barrel setup and would like the option to change bolt heads.

Any action can be made into a switch barrel and I believe the Tenacity uses standard Rem 700 threads, so there are a handful of places that will make you a Savage style prefit barrel that will use a nut if you'd prefer.

I've gone down the whole switch barrel/different bolt heads route before and it's a lot easier to just buy a second bolt. If you swap back and forth enough you'll end up just having one designated action for each bolt face just to save time.

In my personal experience, I would avoid the tl tech actions. I've had one that needed returned 3 times, and I still don't know if it's right. Smith still is finishing the rifle. Maybe the APR version is better idk. I am however very happy with my origin. I also have actions from Stiller, lone peak, Mesa Precision, and they've all been good, however out of your budget.

There are some actions out there that are/were using firing pin springs that were too light and they had problems with light primer hits. The light springs are used to keep the bolt lift effort lower when using a shorter bolt throw.

The Nucleus action originally shipped with a 16# spring and had severe reliability issues. Then a 19# spring was offered as a replacement, but still didn't fix the issue 100%. Now there's a 22# spring that's supposed to fix all the issues, but increases the bolt lift significantly.

My Nucleus action shipped with a 16# spring and I swapped it out for a 19# before even throwing a barrel on there and I haven't had any issues with light strikes and the bolt lift is very smooth and light.

It's funny that there are many of us that have Nucleus actions with the 16# spring in them that haven't had any issues with light primer strikes. I have a 22 Creedmoor barrel on mine,and it has never failed to fire a single round out of it. The only primer I use is a CCI 450.
I have never even taken my bolt apart for cleaning/inspection. As long as it keeps shooting,I'm not worried about it.

Any action can be made into a switch barrel and I believe the Tenacity uses standard Rem 700 threads, so there are a handful of places that will make you a Savage style prefit barrel that will use a nut if you'd prefer.

I've gone down the whole switch barrel/different bolt heads route before and it's a lot easier to just buy a second bolt. If you swap back and forth enough you'll end up just having one designated action for each bolt face just to save time.

Planning to use a WTO SwitchLug.

It's funny that there are many of us that have Nucleus actions with the 16# spring in them that haven't had any issues with light primer strikes. I have a 22 Creedmoor barrel on mine,and it has never failed to fire a single round out of it. The only primer I use is a CCI 450.
I have never even taken my bolt apart for cleaning/inspection. As long as it keeps shooting,I'm not worried about it.

I did try the 16# spring at one point to see if it made a difference and it did. CCI 250s failed to go off 15 out of 40 times. Fed 215 primers went off 34 out of 40 times. Going back to the 19# spring brought it back to 100% ignition with all primers. The difference bolt lift between 16# and 19# springs was negligible, so I just keep the 19# in there.

Legendary Arms Works (law) 704 is $1100 and comes with bottom metal and timney trigger. Crf and can get a version with 3 position wing safety like a winchester, but in a 700 footprint.

Legendary Arms Works (law) 704 is $1100 and comes with bottom metal and timney trigger. Crf and can get a version with 3 position wing safety like a winchester, but in a 700 footprint.

Can you change out the bolt heads?

Can you change out the bolt heads?
Not on the LAW. The action isn't bad but I'd buy something else for the money. I had one of their original rifles SN LAW-0173 in 300 WM and it shot terribly due to them using very low quality barrels. I tried everything before borescoping it, wish I had sooner and not wasted the time and components. The amount of tooling marks down the bore looked like railroad tracks, evenly spaced horizontal lines across the rifling. Just had it rebarreled with a #3 Bartlein and it's looking promising with only 18 rounds through it. LAW is now under new management and has switched to a new barrel provider so the complete rifles may be better now.

Law 704 is made by tl technologies, you can buy the same action from for 850$ I believe. If I were to spend money on a budget action I'd get a bighorn origin, it's hybrid CRF as is the law/tl action. Only downfall is they have to be ran from a detach mag. It also has swappable bolt heads. I have one in a 25 creedmoor, I like the action a lot.

Law 704 is made by tl technologies, you can buy the same action from for 850$ I believe. If I were to spend money on a budget action I'd get a bighorn origin, it's hybrid CRF as is the law/tl action. Only downfall is they have to be ran from a detach mag. It also has swappable bolt heads. I have one in a 25 creedmoor, I like the action a lot.

Why does the Origin have to be run from a detachable magazine?

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.