Best Boots for highcountry hunting

WAC M TRAC M

I told myself last year that im tired of chasing little hill country whitetail in my neck of the wood and decided I need more challange so I am starting to hunt out of state more. I will be hunting Colorado this season and my typical Lacrosse rubber boots wont cut it. I've been researching boots online and found people have different ideas as to good hunting boots.

Right now I'm thinking of getting some Danner pronghorns.

Anyone have some advise?

G'Day Fella's,

Wac M Trac M, the Best Alpine boots on the planet, are made by the Italians!
In my experience, the Scarpa SL series, is hard to beat as a dual purpose, walking and climbing boot!!!

They are obviously not made in the USA but............

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

I told myself last year that im tired of chasing little hill country whitetail in my neck of the wood and decided I need more challange so I am starting to hunt out of state more. I will be hunting Colorado this season and my typical Lacrosse rubber boots wont cut it. I've been researching boots online and found people have different ideas as to good hunting boots.

Right now I'm thinking of getting some Danner pronghorns.

Anyone have some advise?

The pronghorns are "ok", but, if you are going to be habitually in the rocks and crags etc, you might consider a more "technical" boot. I have gotten away with Danners ( winterlights when they still made them) but, a Lowa, Scarpa, Asolo etc is probably a better choice. Allot of guys smarter than me like the Kenetreks, and they are made more like a Euro style technical boot.

If you like Danners, check out the RAT boots they are pretty tough and current USMC issue, not quite as stiff as the Scarpas I have looked at but pretty stout none the less.

Bob

I would encourage you to check out the Meindl Alaska Hunter boot. It is a nice stiff boot that does not have a ton of insulation in it, and is reasonably price for a top quality boot. I have a wide foot and Meindl does a good job of creating a boot that still has a narrow and secure heel and a comfortable width throughout the rest of the foot. I like to wear the boot with a pair of Ingenius socks and I am a happy hunter. The boot did run bigger than my street shoe, so make sure you measure your foot so you know exactly what size to order. One thing that you cannot get away with on the mountain is having a boot that is too big...your heels will hate you.

My dad was on a goat hunt last year in BC and completely tore up a brand new pair of Danner Pronghorns from the climbs. His guides wore Kenetreks and didn't have any problems. Granted its hard to compare $200 boots to $400 boots.

Been having fun researching and learning about boots. I've spent well over 4hours comparing and am close to pulling the trigger.
For anyone reading this in the same situation. Here's what I learned. This is unbiased by me cause I have no loyalty to any of these company's since I've never owned anything from them and just what I learned by comparing online.
Meindl makes good boots.. Not Cabelas Meindl though. They don't seem to last as long as these others though.

Kenetrak is better.

Lowa and Hanwag seem to make the best boots from what I learned online.

Most important!!! Any of those top 3 will be awesome but you have to try them on to really know what is best for you.

Im going to try the Lowa Tibet's

"Meindl makes good boots.. Not Cabelas Meindl though."

- Do you have some info that the two are different? I know Meindl makes both - are you saying they make a lesser quality boot for Cabela's? Never heard that. I've bought Meindls from Cabelas and also while in Europe (not Cabelas) - there didn't seem to be a quality difference between the two that I saw. I don't think all their styles are equal in quality/ruggedness, nor are they all priced the same. I love them and recommend them, but I also haven't tried the Kenetreks and some of the pricier European brands (other than Lowa, a bit). I'd just hate to stear folks away from buying them from Cabelas unless you have some official word that they send them a lower-grade boot. Again, I've bought basically from the source and Cabelas and didn't notice a difference. Just curious.

"Meindl makes good boots.. Not Cabelas Meindl though."

- Do you have some info that the two are different? I know Meindl makes both - are you saying they make a lesser quality boot for Cabela's? Never heard that. I've bought Meindls from Cabelas and also while in Europe (not Cabelas) - there didn't seem to be a quality difference between the two that I saw. I don't think all their styles are equal in quality/ruggedness, nor are they all priced the same. I love them and recommend them, but I also haven't tried the Kenetreks and some of the pricier European brands (other than Lowa, a bit). I'd just hate to stear folks away from buying them from Cabelas unless you have some official word that they send them a lower-grade boot. Again, I've bought basically from the source and Cabelas and didn't notice a difference. Just curious.

I disagree with the statement "Meindl makes a good boot...Not Cabela's Meindl". While the new version of the Ibex and the Cabela's hunter are poorly rated boots, The Alaska Hunter, and Denali are top quality boots. There are a ton of great options for boots, and it doesnt matter if you have Lowa's, Meindls, Kennetrek. Crispi or Granites if the boot doesnt fit your foot perfect. If your going to spend, and for top quality mountain boots I would expect to, around $400 for boots, it is worth trying all those brands on to see what cut fits your foot best, then referring to consumer rating. I have put a edit ton of miles on my boots in some pretty steep and ugly terrain, and they have served me well. I dont think you will go wrong with any of the previous mentioned, well fitting brands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found that info from plugging in Meindl vs. in my google browser. I dont remember which site but i think it was an Oregon or Washington forum.

There were complaints that the rand peels off. Also saw one where it ruined a guys hunt cause water kept getting in after just one season of use.

I filter some peoples complaints cause they seem off like a guy who raked Kentrek but he wore a size 15wide. Said they are not comfey boots

Then I saw a pattern on the reviews for Meidl where guys said they didn't last long and those reviews were followed but lots guys who were offended and said they are great, I"m on my 7th pair. I saw lots of that. Well if your on your 7th pair they are not lasting long. You dont see that on Hanwag reviews or Lowa and Kenetrek reveiws.

I know they are good boots and get lots of good praise. They have most of the same features quality boots have. Just from what I've read they dont rank high against those other three I mentioned.
Honestly I cant say from experiance. Maybe I shouldn't have posted this. I just wanted to help others like me. I'm glad I got on here and asked my question cause it made me take time to learn. I would've been like lots of guys who need a new pair of boots every other season cause the Danners or Irish Setters they bought for 200 bucks dont hold up.

Do the searches and you will see

Then I saw a pattern on the reviews for Meidl where guys said they didn't last long and those reviews were followed but lots guys who were offended and said they are great, I"m on my 7th pair. I saw lots of that. Well if your on your 7th pair they are not lasting long.

No worries, we're all here to learn. I was mostly curious what evidence there was that the Meindls from Cabelas were somehow inferior to Meindls from elsewhere. I hadn't seen that, but have a small sampling to go by. I think it is as others have stated, certain models in their line are better than others. I personally think you're making too much of a leap of logic with your quote above about them not lasting long. Meindl has been around a long time and if some guys do a ton of hiking and get new boots every two years or so, 7 pairs could be reasonable. Besides, if you get real picky about your boots, you probably switch them out long before they "look" worn out. They will tell you that with running shoes - that you need to retire them and move to another pair after a certain number of hours/miles, not when they look worn out. If someone is willing to keep paying $$$ for 7 pairs and they are arguing that they are great boots and last a long time - I'd be more inclined to trust them.

I'm not saying they are the best. They are the best I've used, but I thought Leupold was good before using Swarovski - meaning, there certainly may be better. I've torture tested a few pairs, and have never had anything come apart. I'm attaching a pic of one pair that has MANY years and literally thousands of hours on them (not all hunting) - and not always taken care of well. I can't seem to kill them, even though my family hopes I'll end the relationship mercifully since they are tired of seeing me in them. They are wore plum out - and most probably would have replaced them VERY long ago. My favorite for the real nasty stuff is the Meindl Canadian (tall boot pictured)- you want to feel bullet-proof in the real nasty stuff (at least where elk are found) - these are the boots. Where the lacing dips low near the ankle - really helps you cinch it tight around the ankle and fit like a glove vs. a club. I know hard-core technical rock-climbing/mountaineering will call for a more rigic, technical boot, but for me and everything like this peak (pictured) on down, the Meindls have been great. (The peak looks technical (ropes etc.) - it isn't. I've climbed it - you go up the back-side and it isn't so nasty - steep and very rocky, but hikable.) I'm still open to trying the Kenetreks and others though - I just think the Meindls are one tough, good boot.

Attachments

• Meindl boot very used.jpg
    Meindl boot very used.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 23
  • meindl canada.jpg
    meindl canada.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Crestone Needle.jpg
    Crestone Needle.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 26
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.