Best "available" primer ?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by KQguy, Nov 10, 2008.

1. KQguy

KQguy Well-Known Member

What is the best primer for my 300 WM?My first shoice would be 215M's,but those are pretty much impossible to get now.Right now I have quite a few CCI large magnum primers,but didn't know if there is a better choice out there based on availability.

2. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

I've always had great success with 215m's. Before that I used rem. 9 1/2M's.

Funny you say that about finding 215M's. I was out and about this past weekend and stumbled across 7 bricks of 1000 $24.99 a thousand. As you can guess I bought them all.

3. pjracer

pjracer Well-Known Member

i know where there are about 20 bricks of 215m on a shelve here in san antonio,tx.

4. avalauncher

avalauncher Member

As I stated in another thread, check out the newest edition of Handloader magazine. There is an extremely in-depth study of how each component, when isolated affects accuracy, with results of his tests. The tested all the major primer's in isolation and publishes his results.

5. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

Do you realy believe that in a different rifle the results will be the same?

6. sewwhat89

sewwhat89 Well-Known Member

I don't know if CCI BR-2s are available to you or not, but they shrunk my 2-300 yard groups by 1/2. A close second upon later tests for me was the RP 9.5M.

7. metricman

metricman Member

while the federal 215's are often mentioned it seems that only by trying several brands will you discover which works best with your loads in your rifle

8. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

".Right now I have quite a few CCI large magnum primers,but didn't know if there is a better choice out there based on availability."

We really don't either. What do you expect to use them in, perhaps? I mean, rifle, pistol, standard, magnum...? And what choices are avaiable to you?