best 7mm round for 160+ grn bullets

cbans

I want a 7mm that I would shoot 160 - 175 grn bullets out of (VLDs, Amaxs and maybe partitions). I was looking at the 280 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm WSM (and others that you could find factory ammo for). Some of my concerns were VLD bullets OAL fitting in magazines and if one cart. was (with all other factors being equal) being more inherently accurate. I don't care about the reduced magazine capacity on the WSM, I can't imagine taking that many shoots in a row. I would use the rifle for long range hunting and shooting. I am confident that the above bullets would take down everything I want to shoot at if I do my job. I do and would reload but I don't want to fire form or have to find components that are not easily avail. I would prob. stick with a Savage if I could. I have a Savage .30-06 that I could rebarrel into a 280 Rem (I can't lie..it would be nice to have 200 fps more...ie 7 Rem Mag).

Thanks for any and all replies

Of the three you mention, it would be hard to beat the 7mm Rem for LR hunting with those bullet weights. It would just take a barrel and a bolt head to swap your Savage over (possibly mag/follower depending on your model).

Just my 0.02,

Brian

I have a custom 7mm SAUM that shoots lights out. Due to work and the abundance of wind here in SD, I don't get to shoot it as much as I would like but the best group so far is 1 3/8" at 600 yds. That was with 168 gr Bergers and RL17. I'm ordering some 180 gr JLK's soon and switching to H1000 or 4831sc for the deer, antelope, and elk (if I can ever draw a tag). Before I had the rifle built I was concerned with mag fit with the VLDs also. After alot of thought and talking with Jim See I decided to go with a single shot action. Last fall my wife and I killed 3 mule deer in about 30 seconds, all around 430 yds, with no problems reloading (PICS).

I just found this again and realized I messed up. I was search for info on this topic b4 I posted and must have looked at a old post in this section b4 created this thread. Sorry about the confusion if a admin could move it that would be great.

And thanks for the replies. I had thought about trying to convert my 06.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.