Best 6.5 CM Hunting Bullet for Moderate Long Range Distances

Okay, makes sense. I was focusing on your statement "500 is very easily doable and well within the bullets designed parameters. That goes for about any mono out at this time."

I'll definitely take a look at the Hammers if I can get a hold of some. Seems like Accubond LR and ELD-Xs (and maybe GDSP) are also worth a run through the rifle to see how they shoot. It will probably be dictated by availability. I've pretty much ruled out SSTs due to frag issues but I'll revisit them as well.
At the velocity of the CM you won't have a problem with the SST's blowing up without penetrating at ranges beyond 200yds.

I don't shoot them because the velocities I'm working with make them explosive even at 300yds but in a mild round like the CM you should get good penetration and substantial fragmentation. If you like the behind the shoulder/lung shot it's a very good bullet for that application but you're not going to get a lot of pass throughs.

For my 6.5 creedmoor, I plan to use some monolithic bullet loads as my go-to for medium big game (deer, antelope, hogs). My one concern is that it looks like below 2,000 fps, you start to run into expansion problems, and with my 24'' barrel, I'm guessing most loads will hit that threshold before 400 yards. So, I'm thinking about trying to decide on a (lead) option for longer ranges when I'm not in a lead-free-only area. I'd like it to be something with good weight retention, and definitely not anything prone to fragmentation (I like my meat without lead [CLARIFICATION: I know this is possible with any lead bullet, but I'm saying that it would be good to have a bullet that is less likely to do a lot of spreading of lead throughout the meat]).
High BC would also be preferable since this is longer ranges. [CLARIFICATION - BC might not really be a factor at the ranges I'm talking about ... if so, a small factor. So maybe this shouldn't even be a consideration.]

I have been able to get a few boxes of Barnes Vor-Tx LR, so maybe that drops the threshold down a few hundred fps. But from what I've seen, I'd still be reluctant to trust those bullets out much farther than 400 yards.

I won't be taking any super long shots, so this question is really about the 300-something to 500-something yard range. At that point, the bullet is running out of energy anyway.

I'm not currently handloading, so I want the bullet in a factory load.

I know that there are a lot of bullets that will do the job (ELDX, partitions to name a few), but not sure what the best options are for what I describe as of 2022.
143 ELDX still carries 1000 ft pounds plus to 500 which is far enough and strong enough for any deer sized animal.

I have used Barnes TTSX and now Barnes 127 LRX with excellent results in 6.5 CM and 260 R. For those cartridges in mono bullets the 120-130gr seems to work better. With 140+ bullets you give up velocity for mass. With mono bullets the performance seems to depend more on velocity and less on mass.

Regarding Hornady SST as a lead option, I have had excellent results with them in calibers ranging from 243 to 30. They got a bad rep in some circles with some blowups happening the first year but I understand Hornady made adjustments in the design and I have not seen that issue since.

Every caliber has a range of bullet weight that yields optimum performance in terms of accuracy, range and terminal performance. When we start pushing the envelope trying to get high velocity and long range from a bullet heavier than a cartridge's optimum weight the margin of error gets pretty small. Seems to make sense to go to a cartridge better suited to that level of performance. A simple example would be the venerable 270W. It does amazing things with 130 gr bullets. It can shoot 150 gr bullets but what that gives you is a weak 30 cal performance where accuracy and terminal performance suffer.

^^^ I think you're confusing SST with Nosler Ballistic Tips. Nosler redesigned the NBT based on poor performance of the originals (100 ct boxes).

I have shot truck loads of Accubonds and Hornady Interbonds over the last forty years and as long as you put them where they'll do the most good they won't fail you. I prefer to put them through the Shoulder and spine for an instantaneous DRT result.

?? The Accubond and Interbond bullets were introduced in 2003 IIRC.

I agree, but I'm really just trying to cover 0 - ~500yards. Were I trying to go farther than that, I would be looking at something bigger and/or faster. But I think the 6.5 creedmoor has enough horsepower for out to 500 yards (on medium big game). The only issue is that I'm skeptical about lead-free monolithics when you start getting into the long end of that range.
the 6.5 Creedmoor is a great cartridge for many reasons. regardless of what cartridge you choose or use, good bullet selection and shot placement are key. you have to practice and be confident with your shots. it will do the job as you do your job. the monolithic bullets available in 6.5 will do what you say you are looking for 0-500, there is plenty of evidence provided all over this forum that shows this.

should you select a larger caliber cartridge the same rules apply. you have to do your part with bullet selection, practice and shot placement.

best to you!!

We tend to get overly focused on bc's here quite frequently.

In truth as long as it's a pointed bullet rather than a RN or RNFP BC isn't that big of a factor inside of 600yds.

Even beyond that range my major focus is on terminal performance as I can account for all the variables affecting a bullet in flight and adjust for them.

What I can't change or control is how a given bullet is going to perform at a given impact velocity so that is where my focus is.

I can adjust my expectations and intended POI based on how a bullet is designed but I have to accept how it will perform terminally based on the range/impact velocity. I want the most predictable terminal performance I can find above all else.
. Yes sir your are correct

?? The Accubond and Interbond bullets were introduced in 2003 IIRC.
I switched from NP to NAB around 2003/04 time frame.

Nosler Accudong when introduced.jpg

I believe you are correct with the Hornady IB as well.

Last edited:
In a poll taken among American hunters in 2021, the Nosler Partition was the most popular and trusted hunting bullet for medium ranges on big game, followed by the Interbond, Rem Core-Lokt, and the Accubond! Personally I have recently learned to Love the 6.5 131gn Hammers! I've taken several big deer with them out to 600 yards! All were one-shot kills!

In a poll taken among American hunters in 2021, the Nosler Partition was the most popular and trusted hunting bullet for medium ranges on big game, followed by the Interbond, Rem Core-Lokt, and the Accubond! Personally I have recently learned to Love the 6.5 131gn Hammers! I've taken several big deer with them out to 600 yards! All were one-shot kills!
Just curious as to where you came across that poll as I can't find it online?

The 131 shoots well in my 6.5 prc pre 64 mod 70 win with a Bartlien 7.5 twist at 3200 fps with N165 , it would be as good as any bullet or better in the 6.5 cal for even bigger game.
I have no problem believing that, I'm just curious as to the source of the poll being quoted above.

Steve no doubt makes a very good product that a whole lot of folks are really happy with.

I've never seen any data that would indicate the Nosler Partition is the most popular choice in bullets so I'm really curious as to the source of that poll.

It's just not an ideal bullet for anything other than really thick/touch critters so I was surprised to se it.

I have no problem believing that, I'm just curious as to the source of the poll being quoted above.

Steve no doubt makes a very good product that a whole lot of folks are really happy with.

I've never seen any data that would indicate the Nosler Partition is the most popular choice in bullets so I'm really curious as to the source of that poll.

It's just not an ideal bullet for anything other than really thick/touch critters so I was surprised to se it.
The 125 gr Nosler partition in my 6.5 Swede and the 140 partition in my 7x57 was my go too whitetail bullet for many years never had a problem. I always got a good exit and a lot of damage in between. Back many years ago I loaded the 160 gr partition if my memory is correct on the weight ,160 or 165 ,for Glenn w Slade for Polar bears. The Nosler Partitions used too be the standard too measure up too . If I wasn't shooting Hammers now , the Partitions and Barnes would be my choices.

Recent Posts