Best 338 RUM action?

Timber338

Thinking about putting together a custom 338 Rem Ultra Mag ... What action should I start with? I assume I will have to install an aftermarket trigger and stock...

Thinking about putting together a custom 338 Rem Ultra Mag ... What action should I start with? I assume I will have to install an aftermarket trigger and stock...

A Remington 700 long action with a mag bolt face would be a strait forward donor for the 338 RUM

It would be best to put a quality stock and trigger to end up with a shooter if you go with a
premium barrel you will be there.

J E CUSTOM

i was looking for a decent take off .338 RUM factory barrle to make my 700 LA into. couldn't seem to find anyone selling a good take off new or slightly used. probobly just going aftermarket. For the money spent,its worth the extra coin!

So a good way to start might be to just buy a remington 700 338 RUM. Put a nice trigger, aftermarket stock, bed the action and just see how she shoots ...

at the very least I've got the whole project started. Would be good to see how the factory barrel shoots anyway. Then could upgrade to a custom barrel at some point.

The mk 5 wby action is the best I have found for doing the RUM's. I find cheap used ones from beginners who let forum keyboard commandos convince them they are no good.

If you still need to purchase a receiver, I would strongly recommend either the Defiance Machining Rebel or the Borden Timberline Magnum. You can get into both of these receivers for around $1000.

Once you figure the price you would have into a Rem 700, especially if you wanted a stainless receiver, then add on fully accurizing the reciever and properly modifing it to get it ready to build a precision rifle on, you can easily have +$1000 into the receiver and machining with a Rem 700.

Plus in the end, you still have a Rem 700 which is not a bad thing but nothing close to the quality and strength of these other two receivers.

The two custom receivers can be orders with extended magazine box windows for drop in fit for custom mag boxes for extra length for your ammo with long range match bullets.

Also, in the end, a rifle built on a full custom receiver will retain more resell value then any modified factory rifle. Not saying you will be selling the rifle down the road but if you do a rifle using a top quality custom receiver will bring more money then a modified factory rifle.

Now, if you just are going to screw on a barrel to a receiver and go, it does not make alot of difference so it depends on what type of rifle build you are planning. In my opinion, for a top quality precision rifle, there is no question that the custom receivers are the best investment buck as they cost very little if any more then a fully machined and prepped factory receiver would these days.

In my opinion, for a top quality precision rifle, there is no question that the custom receivers are the best investment buck as they cost very little if any more then a fully machined and prepped factory receiver would these days.

Kirby - Excellent advice, thank you for sharing your expertise. Would be silly to spend the same amount of money on a complete rem700 when you only want the action.

Also, on a side not, looking over your website Home Page, I am very impressed. Although hunting and shooting are a passion of mine, I do it in my spare time as a hobby. During the day I am a mechanisms engineer in the aerospace industry. Speaking as an engineer I am thoroughly impressed with everything you have done with your rifles and how you have applied everything to ultimately create a more effective weapon for hunting game. Very nice work.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.