Best .243 win round for 600yrd shot?

otez935

I am shooting varmint matches out to 600yrd's and am trying to decide if I should go with an 87g Vmax or step up to like a 105g Amax. I have been using the 87g Vmax on 37.5g of Varget for awhile now and like it a lot but I have never really pushed it out past 300-350yrd's. I am shooting a Rem 700 VTR with a 22" (really a 20") barrel 1 in 9 1/8" RH twist.

My 1:8" twist 6br likes the 80gr Berger FB, 105 Berger VLD, and 107 SMK. All shoot into a ragged hole at 100yds.

I haven't tried the AMAX. But, your twist may be a tad slow for the heavier bullets unless you're at higher altitudes.

You can always shoot some and find out.

At 500yds and beyond, the 107 SMKs noticably outperform the 80gr Bergers once you start getting a variable wind.

The 105's are about the same as the 107's. But, I was told that you'll spend more time in the long run chasing the lands with the Bergers vs the SMKs.

You'll want to weigh the higher MV of the lighter bullets against the reduced windage of the heavier ones.

At 600yds, you're going to have to use the reticle or dial for elevation with any bullet. So, flatter trajectory doesn't mean much. However, I think you'll find that BC has more offset the early velocity advantage. Reducing both the windage compensation and time of flight.

That's just my limitted experience/opinion. I'll be keen to know what others think and how it turns out for you.

-- richard

The short barrel will limit speed. 100 grain nosler or sierra boat tails have a good BC and out of my 26 inch barrel I drive them right at 3200 fps with either Ram shot Hunter 46.2 gr or Hodgdon H100V 46.0 grains.

You might try and perfect the 95gr sierra matchking. Both with about the same amount of powder listed above

IMO, for shooting out to 600 yds.......the short barrel coupled with the 9+ twist suggests that the 95 Bergers will serve you best at beyond 500 yds. I don't believe you'll get any benefit whatsoever from shooting 105's, because they are only marginally better BC than the 95's (especiall when talking 600 or less) and the short barrel probably wont allow you to get the 105's up to enough speed to beat the 95 out. I am assuming your gun would stabilize the 105's (my 9 twist does anyway, at 4100' elevation).

On another note, if the majority of your shooting is at less than 400 yds and these are timed events, where you don't have much time to dial; perhaps the 85 to 90 grn class is your best compromise between speed and wind bucking ability.

My little Savage will spin the 105 A-max with no problem. Using Superformance, CCI 200 . MV 2970 out of a 22" tube.

My little Savage will spin the 105 A-max with no problem. Using Superformance, CCI 200 . MV 2970 out of a 22" tube.

Good point, I forget about Superformance powder, it's done some amazing things for velocity in some cases. In contrast though, I get anywhere from 2900-3300 (3300 was a very hot load) with the 105' and a 26" barrel using 4350. A hot load with 87's is just under 3500'/sec with this particular barrel.

They won't shoot in my rem 700 varmint with a 26" barrel. Burned up a whole box of them.

Curious what's your elevation? Apparently (according to the miller formula on JBM's website) a 9 1/8 twist shooting the 105 A-Max at 2900'/sec at my altitude (4100', pressure of 25.5) will not ideally stabilize that bullet below 56 degrees temp.

According to the program; when velocity, elevation or temp drops, the stability factor goes down too. At my altitude, I didn't have any problems shooting the 105 through a 9 twist, but it was at 3100'/sec and above 56 degrees too.

Last edited:
Curious what's your elevation? Apparently (according to the miller formula on JBM's website) a 9 1/8 twist shooting the 105 A-Max at 2900'/sec at my altitude (4100', pressure of 25.5) will not ideally stabilize that bullet below 56 degrees temp.

According to the program; when velocity, elevation or temp drops, the stability factor goes down too. At my altitude, I didn't have any problems shooting the 105 through a 9 twist, but it was at 3100'/sec and above 56 degrees too.

I'm only 800' above sea level. This is why I think it won't work. I was really disapointed. But the 95 bergers and 75 vmax's shoot great.

I'm only 800' above sea level. This is why I think it won't work. I was really disapointed. But the 95 bergers and 75 vmax's shoot great.

I sit on the highest spot in my county...at a whopping 905 feet. I shoot a variety of 82's...85's;...105's out of mine. I also have a box of 55's but Im not sure why I bought them because I shoot 50's and 55's out of my 22-250...???

I reload using Varget

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts