Bertram brass sticking in shell holder?

Thanks for the info RHB, looks like I just need a new shell holder. I just shot some of the brass with 300 grain bergers and got 1" groups at 300 yards with some mirage so definitely can't complain about accuracy!

I've been using an RCBS #38 shellholder, and it's working fine for me for both the bertram brass, and the norma RUM brass. Just for fun I tried my brass in a #4 shellholder, and it worked just fine. Sounds to me like maybe yours has a burr, or some other issue.

I have tested Bertram .338 Edge, .338 Lapua, .375 Cheytac and .408 Cheytac brass. All had slightly thicker rims than other makers of brass.

I don't think this is an accident.

When making super strong brass, extra thickness in the base and rims helps support the primer pockets and web.

Just pick a shell holder with greater tolerance and you will be ok.

I had this problem, necking some RP 300 um to 338. It would not fit my redding shell holder so I tried a lee. Fit no problem, so I sized away and discovered the heads would not fit my bolt face. Measuring showed they were quite a few thou bigger than most. Have had a few tight Bertram's in the shell holder, but no problems in boldface.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts