Bergers in 300 wby?

backwoods hunter

Have any of you gotten 180 bergers to work in your 300 wby with all that freebore. Im thinking it might be a challenge. For that matter any rifle with allot of freebore. Im sure you probably have to single shot it. Where do you start, just seating the bullet as far out as you can in the case and go from there?

Have any of you gotten 180 bergers to work in your 300 wby with all that freebore. Im thinking it might be a challenge. For that matter any rifle with allot of freebore. Im sure you probably have to single shot it. Where do you start, just seating the bullet as far out as you can in the case and go from there?

If your velocities are greater than 3200 or so I guess that they won't work no matter what you do regarding seating depth. Just a guess.....

I know that Vld bullets dont like to be pushed and that most cartrages need to be under loaded and that sucks but that the way it goes. I just got the 115 vlds to shoot in my 25-06 today, at 3200 fps. It took some work but i got it to cut holes at 200 yds. Now I want to try to get them to work in all of my guns.

That is a worthy cause and worth pursuing....

My extreme 270 cartridge just won't let the 140 or 150 bergers hold together at 3400+ and I figure why have a super hootie magnum if you can't shoot super hootie ballistics in it......:D

My dad tried some 210 bergers in his 300WBY and it shot them the best just short enough to cycle through the magazine. It shot them better than closer to the lands, he could not reach the lands at all but it still shot them super good.

I shoot 210 Bergers in my 300 Wby. Here are two 900 yard groups from last summers testing.
I just got back from the same range (pics are not ready yet) but the rifle shot even better this time. 2 groups at 1212 yards were 5in. and a little over 3in. This rifle will never get anything other than Berger 210's

I get 2988 fps with a turn neck chamber and 80.0 of 7828 (25.5 in barrel)

900yardgroup.JPG

Thanks guy,
Im going to give them a run. Thats most of the fun right.:)

Marine sniper, buy chance are you able to load them in your mag?

I think I giong to try them in my 7stw first.gun)

I've shot the 210 VLD"s @ 3,150 ft/sec in my RUM with .5-.6moa accuracy at 200 yds. I have also shot the 162gr (7mm) VLD's a bit faster with excellent accuracy. I don't believe that high velocity with the Bergers will be a problem in your 300 WBY.

For whatever it's worth, cartridges that are too long for the magazine box will often allow you to put one in the top of the magazine because the point of the bullet sits well above the box. Then you can carefully load one in the chamber and close the bolt while slightly depressing the single round in the magazine. This way you will at least have a second shot if needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.