Berger's Eric Stecker shoots 0.054 inch 100 yard group at 2011 Kelbly’s Super Shoot

Re: Berger's Eric Stecker shoots 0.054 inch 100 yard group at 2011 Kelbly's Super Sho

Appreciate that Mr. Stecker. I have always wondered how groups that tight were measured and that makes good sense. I would not have thought about placing a clean paper behind the target after each shot. I have done this to get average group size before, over several days, but never considered it with each shot fired. At my range at home I still won't. If I can tell I have three shots touching then I can do anything I ever need to do with a hunting rifle and it is time to back it up to see what it does at two hundred. But I always like to learn something new, today I have!

Re: Berger's Eric Stecker shoots 0.054 inch 100 yard group at 2011 Kelbly's Super Sho

When shooting alone or with a small group the verification of several target papers is not required but at registered and big matches it's just part of the competition.

I didn't mention that at these matches the host range will have a group measuring device. It is connected to calipers and has circles that are precisely the diameter of a bullet hole. They line this device up on the two holes or edges that are furthests away in a group.

They start on one hole with the calipers closed and pull the circle to the other hole. Once the circle is properly situated on the furthest bullet hole they look at the reading and this is your group size. Using this device allows you to measure groups without calculating the bullet diameter out of the measurement.

Glad to help another shooter learn since so many have helped me.

Regards,
Eric

Congratulations Eric! Both to you and Berger Bullets.:)

I can attest how well Berger bullets shoot. I used to shoot some Benchrest, back in the early-mid 90's. Nothing National, just local stuff, but that's where I got turned on to Berger.

This may be a good spot to include a picture of their performance in a factory rifle. Only modification was the trigger replacement. Bullet was the 22 caliber 55 grn MEF......I don't think they're called that anymore though.

Again, congrats on smallest group. That's got to be a great feeling.

Attachments

• 22-250 VSSF at 100yds.jpg
    22-250 VSSF at 100yds.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 13
  • 22-250 VSSF at 200-400yds.jpg
    22-250 VSSF at 200-400yds.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 11

Roy is correct that I can remember every moment of both.

On the same day I shot this .054 I also shot a group larger than .500. I don't remember that one nearly as well. :D:D:D:D:D (Inserted my royinidaho)
Regards,
Eric

Ah memories........I recall the shoot, back in the day when the 222 ruled, the 5th 100yd relay was well under way. All other shooters in the relay had finished their rounds. Except two. Ken my shooting buddy and myself. We were leading the pack in score. Both of us very close. Ken ALWAYS won the small group and I usually came out with overall. We were both in the zone. Taking time reading the mirage. Ken would shoot - OOOS and AAAAs from the gallery. Again and again that happened. Neither group was getting any larger. Ken's last shot 'went right in there'.

Being in the 'zone' is like no other feeling.

A fly landed on my target, a good inch and a half from the group. Match or no match..... I get a sly grin on my mug. Meat over paper any day. I brake the Rem 40X 2oz trigger. I see the fly disappear in the 24X Leuy, the exclamation from the gallery was loud.

Targets were pulled. Then scored. I was asked "what went wrong". I replied by asking: "What's the color of the ring around the hole?" With a puzzled look the score keeper said RED. I was a happy man!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts