berger.what´s happening?

Tyler,
That's a good question.
Based on some limited testing that I'm becoming involved with, it doesn't seem like the VLD depends on having its jacket 'peeled' back to initiate expansion. I know what you're talking about, it seems like closing the point might prevent the jacket mouth from being wedged open. Considering that the tips of the VLD's are so small to begin with, I don't think that expansion is heavily dependent on having an opening in the meplat.

It's certainly a good question that deserves some attention. We have a terminal ballistics testing project that's just getting off the ground involving high speed photography. We hope to learn more about what happens when bullets hit things and the effects of variables like velocity, stability, and now closing points.

-Bryan

Hi Bryan,

I just looked at the reworked website. I notice several things and I figure you just got this version up and running and it needs some tweaking:

The 190 gr 30 cal target bullet has a listed BC of .982 but bullets heavier than it are in the .600s. Is that a typo? If so understandable.

In the hopes to make all items correct I also noticed that the 180 gr 7 mm hunting VLD is listed as a 168 on the left side of the description.

What does the coming "soon mean" on the left side of the bullet descriptions?

Thanks for the huge effort to reevaluate the BCs of so many bullets.

Ross

Ross,

The correct BC for the .308 cal 190 VLD is .570. It shows up correct for the Target VLD, but is a typo for the Hunting VLD.

The 7mm 168/180 is also a typo.

The 'coming soon' is referring to the image of the bullets on the page. The bullets themselves are available.

Thanks for your observations, I'll pass them on to Michelle.

-Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Finally got back to this thread. I figured it was typos. Thank for clearing it up. Too bad that 190 doesn't have a BC that high. I'd make a rifle to shoot it! ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.