Berger vld's target vs hunting load data

LRHWAL

Similar to another poster I ordered VLD's and got Target "Not recommended for hunting" and not the "regular" or now "hunting" VLD.

My view is I'll use them to shoot at targets as they are intended, as my results with the other VLDs hunting were too good to now try another jacket design, or second guess Berger on this.

Anyway, the specifications look the same, so could you load the bullets interchangeably without changing anything at all, or are the thicker jackets less compressible and giving higher pressures? Obviously this is blow ups from thin jackets aside.

I'd hate to go down the load developement road twice here.

Thanks for any replies.

WL

Gunsmith told me only difference is the jacket thickness. A little heavier in the target variety, to keep them from blowing up in flight. Berger 105 VLD's in 6mm are hard to come by. I found some marked VLD hunting in a store the other day, and ran them thru my long range BR rifle. The bearing surfaces were very consistent and they shot well.

Gunsmith told me only difference is the jacket thickness. A little heavier in the target variety, to keep them from blowing up in flight. Berger 105 VLD's in 6mm are hard to come by. I found some marked VLD hunting in a store the other day, and ran them thru my long range BR rifle. The bearing surfaces were very consistent and they shot well. Same load as the match variety, slightly different OAL.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.