berger target vs hunting

fisherman983

yesterday while i was at wholesale sports looking for some berger bullets, i noticed they didnt have any 6.5mm 140gr hunting but had the target in stock, the man at the counter told me there was no difference in the bullet other than the color of the box. is this true?

The two bullets are different. The target bullets have a thicker jacket than the hunting version. As far as load development, I've heard they can literally be interchanged with no noticeable difference in accuracy or POI, but I've never actually verified that myself.

I was told the target "VLD" bullets are the same as the hunting bullets. They use differen't colored boxes for less confusion. The vld's and standard target bullets come in yellow boxes.

I was told the target "VLD" bullets are the same as the hunting bullets. They use differen't colored boxes for less confusion. The vld's and standard target bullets come in yellow boxes.

The VLD hunting and target are not quite 100% the same. The only difference between the two bullets is jacket thickness. You can see it on Bergers website here:Berger Bulletin » 2009 » January

You'll have to scroll down into the bulletin that's called "Berger Line Split". The 9th paragraph down describes the difference.

Most people I've talked to don't seem to care which bullet the Target or Hunting they use because they both seem to kill things with authority! I can attest to the 185 VLD Hunting in a 300 WSM is devastating, and I hope to try out the 140 Hybrid Target on elk this year.

There's also a great write up here: Berger Bulletin » Hunting Bullets

Read the section titled: History of the Match Grade Berger Hunting VLD
It'll explain that in the very beginning the bullets they called "Target" bullets have morphed into what we now know as "Hunting" bullets and that the current "Target" bullet has a thicker jacket than the original.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.