Berger Varmint bullets on Predators

tackdriver10

I've shot V-Max's and NBT's for years. But lately I've been thinking of giving the Bergers a try. More specifically, 55 grainers out of a 22-250. Anyone have any experience with this setup? Pelt damage to any critter isn't a concern to me. I just want to make the fur fly, and do it accurately.

I say go ahead!! I use the 50 gr berger match bullet (has a slightly smaller hollow point than the varmint, possibly a bit thicker jacket as well??) out of my 22-250 and it just plain works on coyotes!!

Here is a picture of my first double, both taken at just under 500 yards!!

Double11.JPG

I was beginning to think nobody was gonna chime in. Hopefully more replies like the last one will come in. Thanks coyote!

In my experience with my 22-250 the Bergers didn't fly any better or create any more damage than a VMax or BT. The flatbase made them a little more difficult to load and they were more expensive so I quit using them.

I currently shoot 50 grain zmax bullets out of mine because they are cheap, accurate, and destructive. I'd love to give the Hornady 52 grain BTHP a whirl in the near future as well just to try something different.

My all time favorite bullet for the 250 is a 55 grain Ballistic Tip and I will probably go back to shooting them when my stash of Zmax run out.

I shot several last year with a 243 and 87 grain VLD's. They did just fine. One inch exits. Had one run 50 yards. The others were bang flops around 100 yards from a BLR, 1971 vintage.
I have a 70 grain TNT load for calm days and the high bc bergers for the windy ones with my kimber montana rebarreled with a 1-12 douglas barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.