Berger Performance?

shooter7

Ok, I'm nearly at that point of of dismissing bergers as a hunting bullet. My story, just moved out to CO this year and had a buddy hook me up with a 2nd rifle season cow elk tag. Bought a semi custom remington 700 in 7mm mag. My handload was a 168gr berger classic (hunting), pushed by 69gr of h1000 out of a 26 inch barrel. Ended up 297 yds from a large cow. I sent 3 rounds into the chest cavity before she fell over. My game warden buddy advised me to keep shooting until they stop moving. Anyways, as I approach her she hops up when I'm roughly 5 yards away and acts like she's gonna bolt up the mountain so I fire once more to finish her off. Everything in front of the diaphragm was liquefied and I never even saw any bullet fragments in her anywhere. But regardless from the first to the last shot there was roughly a ten minute window. I would really like to hear some firsthand accounts of berger performance. I really like the way they shoot just not how the animals don't die in a reasonable amount of time.

only shot one bighorn with a 168 7mm. went about ten yards. it did not pass through. i would not use them for elk. i loaded some 210's in a 300 wm for a buddy . his family bagged three cow elk. none passed through. they only made it half way.

I've seen probably pushing 100 animals taken with Berger bullets in various cals, best bullets I've used on elk, I switched from Barnes to Accubonds and finally found the premium hunting bullet I was looking for in the Berger!

I have not seen elk shot with the 168 classic but I have seen a good number with the 168 VLD Hunting and Target and the 180's, can't think of one that was shot twice. the one's I've gutted the lungs were violated, from 50 yards to just of 600!

I'm gonna reserve comment as to what I think, but if the bullet liquified its insides, sounds like they did their jobs...

My biggest concern is that I fired at and hit the animal 4 times in ten minutes and it was still alive. I contemplated a fifth.

Its understandable that it is frustrating when the animal got up but if everything was liquefied then what other bullet do you think will do better? I think you are blaming a bullet that did its job instead of just chalking it up to an animal that must have had way too much to live for.

Any bullet that does the damage that you are describing did its job. I just don't see how any other bullet would "liquefy" the organs better than what you are saying.

My biggest concern is that I fired at and hit the animal 4 times in ten minutes and it was still alive. I contemplated a fifth.

I switched to Bergers this year after last years fiasco (shot a buck right in the vitals and after laying ther for 3 minutes unmoving... I figured it was over. Packed and went to get him.. GONE). I searched for hours... In the end... The blood trail led to the river, and that was that. Up and down the bank... No exit. Likely drowned. It was the first time in 38 years I've lost any kind of game... From duck to pleasant, to deer.

This year and Berger... Low and behold... Bang flop. Didn't move an inch. 168 gr VLD hunting 30 cal out of a 308 @ 245 yards. Until they give me reason, I'm going to continue to see how these perform. Got some 215 gr hybrids for elk next year. Based on what I saw internally on the deer I harvested... I'll definitely give them another go.

Its understandable that it is frustrating when the animal got up but if everything was liquefied then what other bullet do you think will do better? I think you are blaming a bullet that did its job instead of just chalking it up to an animal that must have had way too much to live for.

Any bullet that does the damage that you are describing did its job. I just don't see how any other bullet would "liquefy" the organs better than what you are saying.

Maybe you're right. My buddies in camp nicknamed my cow " the cow from hell." Nobody else had ever seen that happen before.

I am a bit of a outcast with bullets though. I like Bergers and Barnes which are pretty much the exact opposites of each other. If you can keep the bullet going fast enough to open, I will use a Barnes any day of the week. I have killed plenty game with a barnes bullet and not one of them have walked more than 20 yards. I have also never shot an animal over 330 yards with one either. I had a 338 Lapua built and use the 300 gr Berger OTM and killed an elk at 720 yards with it this year. I have also used the 115 gr berger in a 25-06 to take deer, antelope and coyotes. Never had a problem.

I have been using the 140gr Hunting Bergers in 6.5-284 for about five years on medium sized game with excellent results, mostly DRT or a few yards. The bullet performance is very different from bonded bullets like the Accubond. I have never found more than small fragments when the bullet does not exit. On pass throughs, one inch entrance, three inch exit, everything between is mush. I have over two dozen antelope, whitetails, and large bodied mule deer taken between 200 and 1000 yards. I can't say the same for the 210 Hunting VLD's in my 300wm at 2900FPS. With all five kills with this bullet, they were all pencil throughs, with little or no reaction from the game on the hit or internal trama. The bullets may have performed better on larger game or with a hit on heavy bone but with chest shots, bullet performance was poor whether it was 100 yards or 700 yards. Two different calibers, two different results. Even with my success with the 140/6.5, I don't believe the Berger VLD is the best design for a hunting bullet and would prefer a bonded rear core design. I have not been able to match the accuracy of the Bergers with the LR Accubonds so they are a "no go", but the design concept is appealing.IMO

S7, must agree with most replies. Never seen an animal not go down on the spot from a Berger bullet. 7mm, .257 Wby, 25-06, 300 WSM, 300 Wby and 30/378 Wby all DRT with Bergers. My trotting 2012 elk at 80 yards did a back flip and never moved after landing. Brother in law's 2013 muley bang flop at almost 200 yards from a 168 Berger out of a 7mm model 700. all internals I've seen were mush and never a pass through. The 115 25 cal Bergers are great on javelina at any distance. Just my experiences, might add shot placement is paramount.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.