Berger OTM Tactical 300

oja0530

Hi, new to reloading. Just looking for info, on case length. I know Sierra asks for 2.714. Berger asks, or shows 2.724. Also know, there is a difference in pill size between the two. So, I guess really what I'm getting at. Does it make a difference. Ie... Berger pill in a case length of 2.714, or vice versa. By the way, using 300 gr pills. Thanks

doesn't matter as long as case isn't too long. you can get a case length gage from sinclair and you will know your chamber length. only a couple bucks. for most cartridges the load manuals say trim to .010 shorter than chamber length.

I assume you're talking about a 338 Lapua here. 2.724" is the maximum case length for commercial ammo given by SAAMI. The minimum chamber dimension is 2.734", so you'd have a small amount of clearance even with a case that's max length. The loading manuals will tell you to trim .010" shorter than the max case length, so for 338 Lapua you'd trim to 2.714". This will give the brass some room to stretch so you're not having to trim after every firing.

That's a better understanding. Appreciate it, and yes it is lapua. So basically, each manufacturer could have different standards.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.