Berger or SMK

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Hntbambi, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Hntbambi

Hntbambi Well-Known Member

I have my off range oryx hunt starting up next week and I am still deciding which bullet to use in my 338 LM. I have read good things about each but not sure which route to go. As of now, I am leaning towards the SMK. The gun (700P) is sighted in with them, but nothing a quick trip to the range can't fix if I need to swap. I have both of them on hand and each are the 300 gr version. Any suggestions?

2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I have shot both out of my 338 LM. I give the Berger a very very slight advantage in accuracy. But I have no field data on game with the Berger as of yet. I do however have many one shot kills from the 300 SMK's including a WT deer and a Bull Elk both over 1100 yards. So if I were you I would make it simple and go with the SMK. They have never let me down and I have a ton of DRT's with them.

Good luck on your hunt.

Jeff gun)gun)

3. Hntbambi

Hntbambi Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeff, that confirms my thoughts. Since we have a high wind advisory today for 35 + gusts to 55, I will just load up some more ammo and wait for Wednesday.

Thanks!

4. Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss Well-Known Member

Ihave shot 7 different rifles over the years including the AI AWM's (2 of them) as well as competition rifles and 3 sporters (338 Slowpokes are Lapua Improveds) and all prefer the SMK 250.