Berger hunting vld for 7mm STW

Jeremybj

Hello to all,

I am having a full custom 7mm STW with a 26" 1:9 turn barrel on it. I am torn between 168 and 180 berger hunting VLDs. I think the added velocity can make use of the extra weight.

Which weight do you guys use in your STWs?

Also, what are you using for seating length? I have heard stick them into the lands and I have also heard people using the traditional jump to lands.

Lastly, what is your COAL? I am hoping they fit into my Wyatt's extended mag box.

Thanks to all,
Jeremy

Hello to all,

I am having a full custom 7mm STW with a 26" 1:9 turn barrel on it. I am torn between 168 and 180 berger hunting VLDs. I think the added velocity can make use of the extra weight.

Which weight do you guys use in your STWs?

Also, what are you using for seating length? I have heard stick them into the lands and I have also heard people using the traditional jump to lands.

Lastly, what is your COAL? I am hoping they fit into my Wyatt's extended mag box.

Thanks to all,
Jeremy

I'm running a 26" shillen. Getting 140 160 ABs to .5-.75". Also got vlds 168 to same group. 160 ABs 3215fps. VLDs were around 3160. 140s over 3400 with h1000. No pressure signs.

I shoot Berger 180 Hybrids out of mine. After messing with 160 Sierra Gamekings, 160 Accubonds, Berger 168 VLD's, and 180 VLD's, as well as the 180 Hybrids. They have all shot good, but the 180 Hybrids are my favorite results out of all of them.

I've shot 160 Nos Accubonds, 168 Berger VLDs, 180 VLDs and have had good accuracy results with all using H100 and 7828ssc.
Groundhogs to elk, the 180 Bergers work for me in my STW and are all I shoot now. I doubt I'll ever tinker with different loads for this gun again.
I had to build a 7x57AI to use up all those other mid-weight 284 bullets.

Also, DO NOT stick them into the lands...You're rifle will blow up. STW's need a little jump, as they are such a high pressure and hot caliber to begin with, when you stick them into the lands, it sends the pressure spikes into orbit...

Trust me, I've cracked brass horizontally and 3/4 of the way around, from pressure spikes in my STW because they were seated into the lands...It's a scary feeling knowing you just came really close to blowing up your favorite rifle.

I've shot 160 Nos Accubonds, 168 Berger VLDs, 180 VLDs and have had good accuracy results with all using H100 and 7828ssc.
Groundhogs to elk, the 180 Bergers work for me in my STW and are all I shoot now. I doubt I'll ever tinker with different loads for this gun again.
I had to build a 7x57AI to use up all those other mid-weight 284 bullets.
Sounds like a legit excuse to me... :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.