Berger Help

theEMP

I just bought a box of 168 grain 7mm Berger VLDs. I'm getting ready to load them up for my 7mm Rem Mag. I dont own the Berger reloading book but I need to know where to start. Planning on using RL22 because I have about 4 pounds of that lying around. My Hornady book for a 162 sst lists 52.4-62.9 grains. Is it safe to start with that data? Or if you can point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks!

The Berger book shows 58.5 as the starting point and 65 gr max for the 7mm Rem Mag and 168 Bergers with Reloader 22. they show a COL of 3.29" but I always just touch the lands then start at the bottom, they do not mention what primer

If you can get yours to like RL22 with the VLD's, more power to you. All 3 of mine hated that combo. It loved IMR 7828 SSC with the 168's, which is my go-to hunting load now.

2 of my 7RM's like RL22 with Nosler 160 Accubonds, so that might be something to look into if the VLD's get too picky.

I have great luck with RL22 with the 162 gr. Amax. With the 168 gr. bergers so far my best luck is with 71 gr. of Retumbo. I have yet to get them to shoot as tight as the Amax, however they will do 10" at 1200 yards. I suspect they could do better with a more proficient driver.:rolleyes:

Why did you quit using Alliant powders? Is it temp sensitivity or something else. I have read that 22 can be sensitive to temp swings.

Temp sensativity was horrible. In Alabama we have some big temp swings and erradic weathern patterns. I gave several of their powders alot of good solid chances, but in the end, the tests just all proved the same thing. I iust couldn't trust it for hunting, since one day it could be 10 degrees, and the next day it could be 40 or 50...

Hey mud what were the velocity swings you experienced? I just got to colorado and I have 5 pounds of rl-17 that I'm hoping isn't a waste.

Hey mud what were the velocity swings you experienced? I just got to colorado and I have 5 pounds of rl-17 that I'm hoping isn't a waste.

At the time, I didn't have a chrono. I was going off of shooting the same gun and same loads that were shooting awesome during the wintertime, during the summer...And they weren't grouping at all. Nothing different except ambient temp.

I am expericiencing the same issue with R17. When it was colder at 40 - 50, I was getting some really good groups. However now in the mid to upper 80s, the groups have opened up by about 1/4 to 3/8 inches more at 300 yards as compared to what it did in colder temps.

Now I am in search for a more stable powder that I can feel assured that I can maintain consitency from the recipe.

Do y'all think if I switched it around and worked my load now in the hot weather I'd better off? Or not do much

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.