Berger Bullets

Nikolakangrga

I have a Kimber Montana in .300 WM.
Rate of twist: 1:10

I would like to load berger bullets for my hunting needs. I would be using this for Hogs (150-300lbs), Black Bear (150-300lbs), and Deer (100-200lbs). Hopefully one day I will be able to travel out of state and use it on elk. As for yardage, I would like a bullet which will do its job from 100 yards out to 800-900 yards.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks Nick

Because you through bear in the mix, I would go with 185 or 210's. They are going to knoch down the biggest game you can come across. 175's may even be an option for a well placed shot. I wouldn't go any lighter than that. I know some are going to say, 150's, but if you are going the distance of 8 to 900 yards, the 210 would definitely get my nod.

Tank

I and my brother both have been shooting 300 win mags for several years. He has a Sendoro and I have a 700 with a Hart barrel.
What we have found is that the 190 Berger VLD shoots exceptionally well but neither of us will shoot a critter under 400 yards with it due to the meat damage. It definitely drops them.
We both are shooting 180 gr Accubonds for everything under 400 yards. His likes RE22 and mine seems to prefer H4831sc.
We live in California and have shot several deer and hogs each with very good results using the accubonds for closer range.
I shot a nice 3 point black tail a couple of years ago with an accubond at 383 yards. He was laying in his bed and it went in right above the bone in the rear leg, blew up the heart and exited the rib cage on the far side. The bullet was picture perfect expansion with 72% weight retension.
I have shot several whitetail in Wisconsin with the same load and it doesn't make any bigger mess at 37 yards than it did at 383 yards.
Just my opinions but from everthing I have read and seen this is a pretty good combination.

Thumbs up on what squirrelduster said. I was shooting 190's out of my sendero and I found the hard and gross way not to shoot anything close. Other than that they are super accurate bullets, but after looking at the berger web site they recomend the 210 for a faster twist. I think the 190's are ment for a 1-12". But try it and see if it shoots!

I would also try the 210 VLD first. They should shoot great in your 10 twist. I have a 300 RUM with a Lilja 12 twist and shoot the 190 VLD. Like others have said accuracy is wonderful, but they are explosive at the closer ranges. But then I am pushing them at 3320 at the muzzle. I know at 300 and under that I need to take out the lungs, so as not to damage any meat.

I am having another 300 RUM built with a 10 twist Lilja and plan to shoot the 210 VLD's.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.