Berger Bullets

My experience with Bergers in a 25-06 is that up close at high speeds they are effective, and messy. At lower velocity and longer distances, they tend to be effective and less messy.
Either way its meat on the table.

I want to shoot a lighter bullet.

High BC is great but slightly lower BC and higher velocity works best. In all of the drop charts i have played with the 225 or 250 will beat the snot out of the 300's. I like Berger, I like the small business, I like the fact that when i ask questions i get a respons from someone who knows what they are doing. I feel like a part of a family when i talk with them.

With that in mind Call Sierra....

However Sierra has what i want to shoot, and berger does not. So ill buy SMK's until Berger makes a bullet that I like better than the 300 OTM Hybrid.

Good reason!!!!! Hahahaha. I was asking cuz I do not want to shoot 300 either and I would love a 250 but like you said, Berger does not have one. I will have to get my paws on some SMKs to see them and try them. Good luck!!

I have grown up shooting Sierra's in my trusty 270. I love their product. I only buy Berger because they are a good family ran business, not because their product is any better than a SMK (I really put a SMK and VLD neck and neck). Berger can have my money again once they have some lighter 338's.

The lower bc high veloticy, does not ''BEAT THE SNOT" out of the 300 otm in same rifle in the long range that I Want to shoot. I am mainly after elk and the 300 retains more E and very close flight curve.Even in my 340 WM THE 250, IS ONLY3''drop more at 1000 w/ more E, than a 225. My Norma is packing 1610 E @ 1400 yrds. 225 wont get that

The lower bc high veloticy, does not ''BEAT THE SNOT" out of the 300 otm in same rifle in the long range that I Want to shoot. I am mainly after elk and the 300 retains more E and very close flight curve.Even in my 340 WM THE 250, IS ONLY3''drop more at 1000 w/ more E. My Norma is packing 1610 E @ 1400 yrds. 225 wont get that

+1!!!!!!!! Thank You!!!

Jeff

The lower bc high veloticy, does not ''BEAT THE SNOT" out of the 300 otm in same rifle in the long range that I Want to shoot. I am mainly after elk and the 300 retains more E and very close flight curve.Even in my 340 WM THE 250, IS ONLY3''drop more at 1000 w/ more E, than a 225. My Norma is packing 1610 E @ 1400 yrds. 225 wont get that

x2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Plus my daughter Nicole Birmingham is on there web page and in two of the bullet flyer's over the years with stuff she has killed . Small business good people to deal with great bullets = a win win for me.

I shoot the Berger 140 VLD out of a 6.5x.284 and they are excellent! They buck the wind very well and deliver a fatal blow on a very consitant basis.I've had great results with them up close,as well as out to distances of 600-800 yards.

I shoot 180's out of my 7STW. I've killed game from ground hogs to elk with this combo and couldn't be happier.
As said above, "short range effective and messy, long range effective and less messy"

My rifle is a carry weight rig and I am not a dedicated long range hunter. I like to cover ground and stalk my quarry but have the equipment, knowledge and skill to reach out there if that is the shot that presents itself.

Last fall I killed an antelope at 630 yards broadside behind the shoulder. She was dead within 15 yards. Vitals were jello exit wound the size of my fist.
A week later I killed a mature bull elk at 75 yards quartering toward me at a trot. Offhand shot through the point of the near shoulder. Bullet penciled through the bone then absolutely shredded the vitals, no exit. The bull face-planted at the shot and didn't get up again.

I've killed several deer, antelope and elk between 250-600 yards. High shoulder, behind the shoulder and neck shots. All DRT.

I have always used premium hunting bullets (partitions, accubonds, etc) and was hesitant to switch to the berger because I know the way I hunt short range shots are on the menu. My results so far have been nothing but positive.

To say I'm confident with this bullet would be an understatement.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.