Berger 300 Hybrid - 4th Shot - After Fixture Rebuild.

royinidaho

It didn't take too much time to revise/update the fixture. Cut the bottom and made a hinge from belting. It opens like a clam shell. Put a new end on it with a piece of 2" hard foam insulation as a bullet catcher as the over all length is considerably shorter after the "big bang".

I thin the reason for the big bang was the brittleness of the pipe. It had very little flex.

Here's the setup:

Nothing is solid this time. Also the bungie cords are tensioned very precisely. Note the blue bullet catcher.
Pic1-1.jpg

Wrapped, tied down and ready for a shot.
Pic3-1.jpg

Boooommmmm ---Wooommmppppp!

300 yd zero looks close. Wow, no damage. (Grinnnnnnn)
Pic4-1.jpg

Things must have flexed sufficiently. No loss of media. All the media was well loosened which indicated the bullet went from one end to the other. With less explosiveness due to change in fixture I suspect bullet performance to be slightly different.

Pic2-1.jpg

Next post. The bullet.

The bullet penetrated the entire length of the fixture except for the piece of 1/4" plywood at the rear. It stopped, touching the wood back, after penetration of the "bullet catcher".

The bullet drifted about 2" to the right and up an inch in 25" from the point of impact.

Entrance into bullet catcher.
Bullet.jpg

Back side of bullet catcher.
Bullet1-1.jpg

The bullet as found.
Bullet4-1.jpg

Residual weight = 148.8 grains. The lead was carried in the jacket the entire 25"
Bullet5.jpg

Look's like you're getting the design of the catcher's glove down pat.

The more flexible, the greater the survivability during the period of maximum rate of energy transfer. Nice photos. Thanks for putting in the effort, and sharing the end results with us.

Much less bomb affect and the bullet looks like it stayed together better. Good pics and thanks for putting in so much time Roy.

Very cool Roy. Im impressed to finally see a piece of lead left with the bullet.
Hey if you started using colored ballistic media, you could hang a canvas and make an abstract painting. Might be worth millions.:D
Proud of you for improvising and making it all come togather for these tests. I appreciate it. Thanks

This has been fun to watch. Thanks for the hard work it has taken to share with the rest of us. You adapt well. I like that inquisitive thinking. Great Post!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.